Subscribe to Breaking News emails

You have successfully subscribed to the Breaking News email.

Subscribe today to be the first to to know about breaking news and special reports.

Australia Anti-Terror Cops Thwart Imminent ISIS-Linked Machete Attack

Image: Two men charged with plotting Islamic State terror attack in Sydney
epa04613832 The location where a police raid on a granny flat took place in western Sydney, Australia, 11 February 2015. Two alleged Islamic State supporters have been detained in Australia on suspicion of plotting a terrorist attack in Sydney. Police found a machete, hunting knife, an Islamic State flag and a video, in which a man spoke of an attack, in the raid which took place on 10 February 2015. The suspects, aged 24 and 25, were expected to appear in the Fairfield court in the west of the New South Wales capital. EPA/AVA BENNY-MORRISON AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND OUTAVA BENNY-MORRISON / EPA

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.

SYDNEY, Australia – Anti-terror police narrowly averted a “disturbing” ISIS-linked plot to publicly maim or kill somebody with a hunting knife and machete, police and public officials said Wednesday.

Two men, aged 24 and 25, were arrested after a raid on a home in a western Sydney suburb where the knives were seized along with a video and a flag associated with the Islamist militant terror group.

Australia, a staunch ally of the United States, has been on heightened alert for attacks by home-grown Islamist radicals. It raised its terror threat level to "high" in September after receiving information that ISIS supporters planned a public beheading.

Police said the pair had been preparing to carry out their attack on Tuesday.

New South Wales Deputy Police Commissioner Catherine Burn did not confirm that the men planned a beheading and would not give details about what was on the video, but said the plot was "consistent with [ISIS] messaging.”

New South Wales Premier Mike Baird said a potentially "catastrophic" terrorist attack had been avoided.

"It was beyond disturbing, what was planned," Baird told reporters, according to SBS. "Certainly, something catastrophic was avoided yesterday and for that we should be very thankful."

Australia believes at least 70 of its citizens are fighting with ISIS in Syria and Iraq.

"Regrettably there are those out there, some living in our midst, who would do us harm — but your government, at every level, will do whatever we humanly can to keep you safe," Australian PM Tony Abbott told reporters in New South Wales.

In December, two hostages were killed when policed stormed a central Sydney cafe to end a 17-hour siege.

IN-DEPTH

SOCIAL

- Alastair Jamieson

Reuters contributed to this report

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.
MORE FROM news