The gunman accused of wounding two officers during a protest in Ferguson, Missouri, earlier this month was denied a lower bond after prosecutors argued Tuesday he remains a "risk" to the public.
A St. Louis County Circuit judge left bond unchanged at $300,000 cash only for 20-year-old Jeffrey Williams, who was arrested amid a manhunt two days after the March 12 shooting. The officers were treated at a hospital and released with non-life-threatening wounds.
Williams at the time of the shooting had a warrant out for his arrest for using a stolen credit card and receiving stolen property. Authorities have said that he admitted to firing a gun during the protest but claims it was part of an argument with someone else — and didn't mean to hit the two officers.
Williams, however, has denied having a weapon. He was charged with first-degree assault in connection with the shooting, which reignited tensions between protesters and law enforcement following the police shooting of unarmed teenager Michael Brown last August.
"I'm disappointed, but I'm not shocked (at the denial of bond reduction) because of the nature of the charges," said Williams' attorney, Jerryl Christmas.
The case has not yet been presented to a grand jury in St. Louis County.
- Man Accused of Shooting Cops in Ferguson Appears in Court
- Arrest Made in Connection With Shooting of Two Police Officers in Ferguson
- Protests Continue in Ferguson After Police Officers Are Shot