The Department of Justice announced Saturday that it will conduct an "after-action assessment" of the police response to last month’s deadly shooting at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando.
The assessment will look at how prepared Orlando police was for June 12 mass shooting, as well as tactics used, the DOJ said.
Let our news meet your inbox. The news and stories that matters, delivered weekday mornings.
Forty-nine people were killed when gunman Omar Mateen opened fire in the nightspot frequented by the LGBT community and took hostages. Mateen was killed by police after an hours-long standoff.
Some have questioned why police waited for hours while Mateen had hostages in a bathroom before moving in to end the standoff.
The assessment was requested by Orlando Police Chief John Mina, the Justice Department said.
Related: How the Orlando Nightclub Shooting Unfolded
"I commend Orlando Police Chief John Mina for his leadership in asking for this assessment," Ronald Davis, director of the Justice Department’s Office of Community Oriented Policing Services, said in a statement.
"The lessons learned from this independent, objective and critical review of such a high-profile incident will benefit not only the Orlando Police Department and its community; it will also serve to provide all law enforcement critical guidance and recommendations for responding to future such incidents.”