Subscribe to Breaking News emails

You have successfully subscribed to the Breaking News email.

Subscribe today to be the first to to know about breaking news and special reports.

Two-Week Break Approved for Oscar Pistorius' Murder Trial

 / Updated  / Source: Associated Press

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.

Oscar Pistorius' murder trial will adjourn for more than two weeks following Thursday's testimony before resuming on May 5.

Judge Thokozile Masipa said Wednesday that she was responding to a request for a break from chief prosecutor Gerrie Nel that was supported by the defense. Nel cited previous commitments.

The double-amputee Olympian's trial started March 3 and Masipa said the case had lasted longer than expected. Chief defense lawyer Barry Roux has said he will call between 14 and 17 witnesses.

Forensic expert Roger Dixon, the third witness called by the defense, was testifying Wednesday.

Pistorius was charged with premeditated murder for shooting girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp in his home last year. He says he shot her by mistake while the prosecution says he killed her intentionally after an argument.

-The Associated Press

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.
MORE FROM news