Pope Francis has a packed itinerary for his visit to the United States this week — including a speech to Congress, a service at the Sept. 11 memorial, a Mass at Madison Square Garden and a visit to a Philadelphia prison.
Here is the pope’s schedule, according to the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. All times Eastern:
Tuesday, Sept. 22: Washington
- 4 p.m.: Arrival from Cuba at Joint Base Andrews.
Wednesday, Sept. 23: Washington
- 9 a.m.: Meeting with President Barack Obama at the White House.
- 10 a.m. (approx): Pope participates in parade around Ellipse outside White House.
- 11:30 a.m.: Midday prayer with the bishops of the United States, St. Matthew's Cathedral.
- 3:50-4 p.m.: Popemobile parade to Basilicia of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.
- 4:15 p.m.: Mass of Canonization of Junipero Serra, Basilicia.
Thursday, Sept. 24: Washington and New York
- 10-10:35 a.m.: Address to joint session of Congress.
- 11:15 a.m.: Visit to St. Patrick in the City and Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington.
- 4 p.m.: Departure from Joint Base Andrews.
- 5 p.m.: Arrival at John F. Kennedy International Airport.
- 6-6:30 p.m.: Open motorcade on Fifth Avenue from 55th St. to St. Patrick's Cathedral.
- 6:45 p.m.: Evening prayer (Vespers) at St. Patrick's Cathedral.
Friday, Sept. 25: New York
- 8:30 a.m.: Arrives at the United Nations
- 10:20-10:50 a.m.: Addresses the United Nations General Assembly
- 11:30 a.m.-12:25 p.m.: Multi-religious service at 9/11 Memorial and Museum, World Trade Center and Foundation Hall
- 4 p.m.: Visit to Our Lady Queen of Angels School, East Harlem.
- 5:15 p.m.: Open motorcade down West Drive, Central Park
- 6 p.m.: Mass at Madison Square Garden.
Saturday, Sept. 26: New York and Philadelphia
- 8:40 a.m.: Departure from John F. Kennedy International Airport.
- 9:30 a.m.: Arrival at Atlantic Aviation.
- 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.: Mass at Cathedral Basilica of Sts. Peter and Paul.
- 4:05 p.m.-5 p.m.: Visit to Independence Hall.
- 8 p.m.: Visit to the Festival of Families, Benjamin Franklin Parkway. Pope's remarks expected before 9 p.m.
Sunday, Sept. 27: Philadelphia
- 9:15 a.m.: Meeting with bishops at St. Martin's Chapel, St. Charles Borromeo Seminary.
- 11 a.m.: Visit to Curran-Fromhold Correctional Facility.
- 3:25 p.m.: Begins open motorcade along Benjamin Franklin Parkway.
- 4-6:15 p.m.: Mass for the conclusion of the World Meeting of Families, Benjamin Franklin Parkway.
- 7 p.m.: Visit with organizers, volunteers and benefactors of the World Meeting of Families, meets with Vice President Joe Biden and family, Atlantic Aviation.
- 8 p.m.: Departure for Rome.