Breaking News Emails
One of two 12-year-old girls arrested in the “Slender Man” stabbings has been found competent enough to stand trial, according to a Wisconsin state report released Wednesday. But the girl’s defense team said it will contest the finding — leaving a Waukesha County judge to rule on her competency in December, NBC affiliate WTMJ reported. The girl had been ordered last month to undergo a psychological evaluation in response to the brutal May attack against a 12-year-old friend.
The court-appointed report veers from the first 12-year-old suspect who the judge ruled in August was not competent enough to stand trial. That girl had told a psychologist that she believed in unicorns and various fictional characters, and according to prosecutors, was the mastermind of the attack against the friend. She is currently undergoing treatment so that she might eventually stand trial.
The two suspects are accused of luring their friend into the woods after a sleepover, and then stabbing her 19 times all over her body. She survived. (NBC News is not identifying the girls because of their age.) They allegedly told police they hatched the plan in order to gain favor with the online horror meme known as Slender Man. The girls were charged as adults with first-degree attempted homicide. The second girl’s competency hearing is scheduled to resume Dec. 18.
- Slender Man Stabbing: Suspect's Competency in Question
- Slender Man Stabbing: 2nd Girl Unfit for Trial, Says Attorney
- 'Slender Man' Victim's Family Thankful for Special Day