Apple and Google's Motorola Mobility unit have agreed to dismiss high-profile U.S. patent litigation against each other over smartphone technology, according to a court filing on Friday.
In a joint statement, the companies said the settlement does not include a cross-license to their respective patents. "Apple and Google have also agreed to work together in some areas of patent reform," the statement said.
Apple and companies that make phones using Google's Android software have filed dozens of such lawsuits against each other around the world to protect their technology. Apple argued that Android phones that use Google software copy its iPhones.
The two companies informed a federal appeals court in Washington that the cases should be dismissed, according to filings on Friday. However, the deal does not appear to apply to Apple's litigation against Samsung Electronics Co., as no dismissal notices were filed in those cases.
The most high-profile case between Apple and Motorola began in 2010. Motorola accused Apple of infringing several patents, including one essential to how cell phones operate on a 3G network, while Apple said Motorola violated its patents to certain smartphone features.
The cases were consolidated in a Chicago federal court. However, Judge Richard Posner dismissed it in 2012 shortly before trial, saying neither company had sufficient evidence to prove its case.
Last month, the appeals court gave the iPhone manufacturer another chance to win a sales ban against its competitor.
Google acquired Motorola Mobility in 2012 for $12.5 billion, and this year announced was selling Motorola Mobility's handset business to Lenovo, while keeping the vast majority of the patents.