WikiLeaks has made more than 30,000 documents from last year's Sony Pictures hack available to the public. The documents were put online in a searchable database on Thursday, which WikiLeaks says includes more than 173,132 emails from 2,200 Sony Pictures email addresses. "This archive shows the inner workings of an influential multinational corporation," Julian Assange, editor-in-chief of WikiLeaks, wrote in a statement. "It is newsworthy and at the centre of a geo-political conflict. It belongs in the public domain. WikiLeaks will ensure it stays there."
A Sony Pictures spokesperson said in a statement that it strongly condemned the actions of WikiLeaks. "The attackers used the dissemination of stolen information to try to harm SPE and its employees, and now WikiLeaks regrettably is assisting them in that effort," the company wrote. "We vehemently disagree with WikiLeaks' assertion that this material belongs in the public domain and will continue to fight for the safety, security, and privacy of our company and its more than 6,000 employees."
Last December, a group calling itself "Guardians of Peace" (GOP) hacked Sony Pictures, revealing private emails, more than 47,000 Social Security numbers and several unreleased films. The U.S. government eventually blamed North Korea for the hack.
In a press release, WikiLeaks said the documents it put online revealed details of, among other things, Sony's extensive lobbying efforts with the Motion Picture Association of America and Sony employee donations to the Democratic Party.
- North Korea Behind Sony Hack: U.S. Officials
- Could Sony Hack Scare Other Companies Into Beefing Up Cybersecurity?