The U.S. attorney's office subpoenaed the Los Angeles Unified School District for records pertaining to its $1 billion iPad project as part of a federal grand jury probe. A copy of the subpoena released Tuesday requests all documents related to proposals for the district's cornerstone technology initiative, which has been plagued with problems since its rollout last year. The requested records include proposal scoring documents, review committee files and employee information, among other materials. LAUSD general counsel David Holmquist told The Associated Press the district was expecting federal agents to visit and retrieve documents toward the end of the week. Instead FBI agents arrived at district offices on Monday, carting away about 20 boxes worth of records. "We turned over all documents that we think are responsive to the subpoena," Holmquist said. He said the district has not been provided any information on what federal authorities are investigating. The district's Common Core Technology Project aimed to provide 21st century learning devices to all of the district's 650,000 students, chipping away at the technology divide that often leaves lower-income students at a disadvantage from their more affluent peers. The program was championed by then-Superintendent John Deasy and approved unanimously by the school board in 2013.
- Los Angeles Schools Halt Off-Campus iPad Use After Students Hack Tablets
- School Hands Out 20,000 iPads to Students, and Connection Chaos Ensues
- Rally Held to Fight $1 Billion School iPad Plan (NBC Los Angeles)
--- The Associated Press