Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.

Find answers to your Post-9/11 GI Bill questions here.

What is the Post-9-11 GI Bill?

The Post-9/11 GI Bill offers funding for education and housing to veterans who have served at least 90 days of Active Duty after September 10, 2001. The bill provides up to 36 months of education benefits; benefits are generally payable for 15 years following your release from Active Duty. Benefit amounts are based on the length of active service. To qualify for the full benefit, you must have served at least three years of Active Duty, or have been discharged after 30 days with a service-related injury, and you must have received an honorable discharge. If you have served less than 36 months, the amount of your benefit is paid out based on how long you served. (See FAQ #2.)

In addition to tuition and fees, which are paid directly to your school, eligible veterans also receive an annual stipend of up to $1,000 for books and supplies. You may also qualify for a Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA). Housing rates are based on the ZIP code of the school you attend.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill Calculator can help you estimate the amount of the benefit you’re eligible to receive. Because individual situations may vary, all benefit amounts are estimates only. Your VA education benefits representative can confirm all benefits for which you qualify.

What determines the amount of benefit I will receive?

Your benefit amount is based on the length of your active service. A veteran with at least three years of Active Duty after September 10, 2001, will qualify for the full benefit. Use the chart below to determine the benefit for which you qualify.

Member ServesPercentage of Maximum Benefit PayableAt least 36 months100%At least 30 continuous days on Active Duty and must be discharged due to service-connected disability100%At least 30 months, but less than 36 months90%At least 24 months, but less than 30 months80%At least 18 months, but less than 24 months70%At least 12 months, but less than 18 months60%At least six months, but less than 12 months50%At least 90 days, but less than six months40%

Can I apply Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to classes I took before September 10, 2001?

No, Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits are not retroactive.

Is there a limit to the benefits if I attend less than full time?

For part-time students, all benefits are paid out based on the amount of time you’re in school, including the Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) and book stipend. The housing allowance will be set based on how many semester hours you are taking. For example, if you are eligible for maximum benefits, you will receive 100 percent support for 12 semester hours, prorated to 75 percent for nine hours and 50 percent for six hours. No benefit will be paid for less than six hours. The housing allowance is not authorized for students taking six hours or less.

What is the Yellow Ribbon Program?

The Post-9/11 GI Bill can cover all in-state tuition and fees at public degree-granting schools, but may not cover all private degree-granting schools and out-of-state tuition. In those situations, the Yellow Ribbon Program provides additional support at participating schools.

What is the Rural Benefit program?

The Rural Benefit is a one-time payment of $500 for recipients of the Post-9/11 GI Bill who currently reside in a county with six persons or less per square mile and who relocate at least 500 miles to attend school.

Does Basic Training count toward my Active Duty service?

Basic Training and other initial entry training such as Advanced Individual Training only qualify toward Post-9/11 Active Duty service once you have completed two years of Active Duty service including Basic Training.

When do my Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits expire?

Veterans and dependents who qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill have up to 15 years to use their education benefits.

Will online or distance learners get the housing stipend?

Exclusively online students (or distance learners) may qualify for a lower housing allowance (approximately $667 per month). However, you only need to take one class in an actual classroom to qualify for the full housing allowance. See more Monthly Housing Allowance Information.

What do I do if I change schools after starting the Post-9/11 GIBill?

Complete and submit a “Request for Change of Program or Place of Training” (VA Form 22-1995), through the VA’s Veterans Online Application (VONAPP) website.

How do I obtain my DD Form 214 and other military paperwork?

Contact your local VA representative.

What happens if I fail or drop a course?

Failing a course will not affect your GI Bill benefits; however, withdrawing or receiving an incomplete grade for a course may affect your benefits. As long as you receive a grade (pass or fail), the VA will not ask for money back. If you drop or withdraw from a course, the VA will stop paying education benefits for those classes and you may be billed for the education benefits that have already been paid for that term.

What types of courses are/aren't covered?

Graduate and undergraduate degrees, vocational/technical training, on-the-job training, and many more programs are approved under the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Courses that are not covered include: (1) courses you do not attend; (2) courses from which you withdraw; and (3) courses you complete but for which you receive a grade that will not count toward graduation. Learn which courses qualify for benefits.

Can I transfer my entitlement to my dependents?

As of August 1, 2013, a Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB) requires a four-year service obligation from the TEB date. In order to transfer benefits, visit milConnect now to begin the process.

Can I transfer my benefits to a dependent if I have already retired?

No, the Post-9/11 GI Bill does not allow retirees to transfer their unused educational benefits.

Are there other Gi Bill Programs that I may qualify for?

There are a handful of other programs under the GI Bill umbrella. You may be eligible for one or more. Find out more about other GI Bill programs.

How do I utilize my GI Bill Kicker?

Reserve service members who have been authorized for the college fund Montgomery GI Bill Kicker must apply to draw on their Kicker when they apply to use their GI Bill. Reserve members will usually have either a DD Form 2384 or DD Form 2384-1 as a Kicker contract in their enlistment packet. National Guard members will have NGB Form 5435-R Annex K in their packet. To start getting Kicker pay, service members must send in documentation of their Kicker along with their GI Bill application (this document is available in your iPERMS). Otherwise, the VA has no way of knowing a Kicker is authorized for payment, or the amount. A Kicker expires at the end of 10 years from the date of eligibility or upon discharge from the Selected Reserve.

How do I access my military transcripts?

You can get your military service records by visiting the National Archives website or mailing a request to:

NPRC Mailing Address:National Personnel Records CenterMilitary Personnel Records1 Archives DriveSt. Louis, MO 63138314-801-0800

What if I believe I am but my application is rejected?

If you were rejected for Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits, you have the right to appeal. Please contact your local VA representative for further guidance and fill out VA Form 9 to begin the process. Appeals are completed on the VA Form 4107.

What happens after my Post-9/11 GI Bill online application is approved?

Once approved, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility. You must take this letter to the school you will be attending to verify enrollment. The school should already have your information from your application. They will then verify your enrollment and notify the VA to make payments to the school and to your personal account for Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH).

The school may require a Veterans Certification Parent Letter. (Sometimes it may be necessary to take a course for your degree at a second school; the school issuing your degree remains the “parent” school.) The parent school will provide this letter to you.