Select is editorially independent. Our editors selected these deals and items because we think you will enjoy them at these prices. If you purchase something through our links, we may earn a commission. Pricing and availability are accurate as of publish time.
Bookended by back-to-school and Labor Day sales, August is full of deals from retailers like Nordstrom, Walmart and Macy’s. During the last full month of summer, brands such as Abercrombie & Fitch and Land’s End offer savings on clothing, shoes and accessories, giving customers the chance to add new pieces to their work-from-home wardrobe. Athleisure from Nike, Adidas and other sportswear brands are also discounted this month, both in-store and online.
According to Julie Ramhold, consumer analyst for DealNews.com, many states hold their tax-free weekends in August, where sales tax is not applied to specific items. Ramhold says the items that qualify for tax free shopping varies per state, but often include clothing, footwear, books and computers. Ramhold says tax-free weekends are a great time to get a head start on back-to-school shopping for kids.
What to buy in August, and what can wait.
Regardless of whether you’re back-to-school shopping, Ramhold says August is a great time to purchase office supplies. Beyond Staples and Office Depot, Paper Source and other stationery stores are selling customizable calendars, notepads and planners. But summer isn’t over yet, and Ramhold suggests keeping an eye out for sales on patio furniture, some of which can start at around 40 percent off. She recommends buying patio furniture now and storing it for the colder months if you can, as prices won’t be this low again until next year.
As for tech, Ramhold says August has some decent deals on laptops, especially if you shop during back-to-school or early Labor Day sales. However, the best laptop deals will be offered around Black Friday, so Ramhold recommends waiting to purchase if you can. Ramhold says Apple is not known for having sales, but it provides education pricing for students and school employees during this time of year. Those who qualify for Apple’s education pricing can get discounts on iPads and Mac computers.
Labor Day sales will also begin in August about two weeks before the holiday, according to Ramhold.
What stores are having big sales right now?
- Nordstrom is hosting its annual Anniversary Sale in stores and online through Aug. 30. Brands like Madewell, Kate Spade and Ugg offer low prices on popular items and new fall fashion. Shoppers can purchase clothing and accessories for women, men and kids, as well as browse home and beauty items.
- Amazon is hosting its first ever Big Summer Sale. It will run through Sept. 7, giving shoppers the opportunity to save upwards of 50 percent on select home, tech, clothing and beauty, among other items.
But there are lots of other sales happening throughout August, too. Here is a list to help guide your shopping.
- Abercrombie & Fitch is hosting a variety of sales, like 50 percent off jeans and up to 60 percent off clearance items.
- AeroGarden is offering 20 percent off orders with code SUMMER20 and free shipping on orders over $50.
- Aeropostale is offering up to 80 percent off clearance items and up to 15 percent off uniform styles when you buy five or more items.
- Belk is offering up to 85 percent off clearance items.
- CHI Haircare & Tools is offering 25 percent off sitewide with code BTS25.
- Cost Plus World Market is offering up to 50 percent off clearance items storewide through August 26.
- The Disney Store is offering up to 40 percent off toys, clothing, accessories and home items for a limited time.
- Enso Rings is selling a combination of one ring and one bracelet from its Doodle Art Collection for $50 through August 31, with free shipping.
- Keds is offering 25 percent off select regular price items.
- Kenny Flowers is offering 15 percent off all orders with code LEI or 25 percent off any purchase of 4 items or more with code MAHALO during the Kenny Flowers “Lei’bor” Day Sale from August 24 to September 7.
- Keurig is offering 50 percent off a coffee maker and 25 percent off beverages when the items are purchased as a part of the Keurig Starter Kit.
- Kohl’s is offering up to 80 percent off clearance items. Additionally, select Nike, Adidas and Under Armour items are 25 percent off.
- Lands’ End is offering up to 40 percent off full-price styles and up to 75 percent off sale and clearance items with code BALL through August 26.
- LifeProof is offering 20 percent off its Case and Screen Protection Bundle through August 26.
- Lord and Taylor is offering up to 40 percent off storewide, including 40 percent off swimwear and men’s clothing, 20 percent off women’s clothing and shoes and 10 percent off beauty items.
- Macy’s is offering 25 to 70 percent off select clearance styles for women, men and kids, as well as jewelry and home items. Macy’s is also offering 35 to 55 percent off select jewelry, plus an extra 20 percent off with code SHOP.
- Nordstrom Rack is offering an extra 50 percent off clearance sandals, flats and heels. Select sweaters are up to 70 percent off and select bathing suits are 65 percent off.
- Olympia Sports is offering up to 80 percent off select items during its End of Summer Sale. Additional sales include 50 percent off Nike footwear and up to 50 percent off fall sport cleats.
- Otterbox is offering 20 percent off dryboxes and drybags, while coolers are 30 percent off through August 26.
- PlushBeds is offering 20 percent off site wide during its Summer Sale.. PlushBeds is also taking off$1,100 from every bedroom mattress and giving customers a free organic sheet set with their purchase.
- Thinx is offering 30 percent off sitewide on women’s underwear and apparel during its End of Summer Sale.
- Spongellé is offering 20 percent off all new arrivals with code BRANDNEW during the brand’s New Arrivals Sale from August 28 to August 31. .
- Williams-Sonoma is offering up to 30 percent off KitchenAid Mixers & Attachments, up to 40 percent off KitchenAid Attachments, up to 65 percent off All-Clad favorites and up to 55 percent Le Creuset favorites.
- Wilsons Leather is offering an extra 45 percent off sitewide with code SUMMER and free shipping on orders over $75. Back-to-school sales to shop now.
Back-to-school sales to shop now
- Apple is offering a free pair of AirPods when you purchase a Mac or iPad with education pricing. Those eligible can also upgrade to AirPods Pro for $90 and get discounts on accessories and AppleCare+.
- Best Buy is offering student discounts on laptops, tablets and headphones.
- B&H Photo is offering deals on Apple products like AirPods, iPads and Mac laptops.
- The Children’s Place is offering 50 to 60 percent off storewide, including kids school uniforms and backpacks.
- Dell is offering discounts on desktop computers, laptops and tech accessories.
- The Disney Store is offering discounts on backpacks, lunchboxes and notebook sets.
- HP is offering deals on printers, computers, laptops and backpacks.
- Lenovo is offering verified college students and teachers an additional 8 percent off sitewide.
- Microsoftis offering sales on accessories likeSurface bags and sleevesfor theSurface Pro 7and the Surface Pro X.
- Newegg is offering discounts on monitors, desktops and notebooks.
- Staples is offering low prices on back-to-school supplies like notebooks, pens and pencils, binders, backpacks and lunchboxes. Staples is also selling reusable and disposable face masks.
- Pottery Barn Kids is offering 30 to 60 percent off new backpacks and lunchboxes.
- Target is offering low prices on back-to-school essentials like notebooks and pencils, as well as items necessary for remote learning like WiFi routers and kids’ desks.
- Walmart is offering low prices on kids’ fashion, dorm room essentials, office supplies and tech.
10 best deals to shop now
Grow plants requiring no sunlight or water, including vegetables, herbs and flowers indoors year-round with the AeroGarden Harvest 360. Just place the seed pods in the base of the Harvest 360 and water or feed the plants when the device’s control panel reminds you to. Plants grow under LED lights that are set on an automatic timer, too. The AeroGarden Harvest 360 comes with a free seed kit, and you can choose from options like cherry tomatoes to petunias. Additional seed pods can be purchased on AeroGarden’s website and Amazon.
This wireless charger stand allows you to power your phone while it sits upright and works with most phone cases. You can charge it in a vertical position while on video calls, or in landscape orientation while watching videos. This charging stand is compatible with Apple, Samsung Galaxy, Google Pixel and Samsung Galaxy Note series phones.
Lands’ End cotton face masks are small enough to fit children over three. They’re machine-washable and made with odor control fabric designed to keep masks fresh for up to 20 washes. The masks come in packs of three and have an antimicrobial finish, too.
This mattress is made with layers of organic cotton, wool and latex, all of which provide your body with extra support while you sleep. It’s antimicrobial, mold- and mildew-proof and dust mite resistant. These features prevent those with allergies from sneezing or having other allergic reactions throughout the night. This mattress is offered in two firmness levels — medium and firm — and three heights: 9 inches, 10 inches or 12 inches. It is available in nine sizes, starting at twin and ending at split California king.
Add these sunglassesto your collection before the summer is over. Made by Ray-Ban, the sunglasses feature a brown Striped Havana pattern, matching any outfit. These sunglasses have a sophisticated-yet-chic shape due to their slim acetate frame and skinny temples. The sunglasses have brown polarized lenses, which offer contrast in low-light conditions and allow you to see clearly without straining your eyes.
This small hard drive provides a large amount of storage for your files. It has a sleek, lightweight design that makes it easy to take anywhere and even fit inside your laptop sleeve on the go. Once connected to a computer, the hard drive quickly transfers files and can help free up space on your device’s internal drive. Western Digital is also discounting other external hard drives on Amazon right now, like the WD 5TB My Passport Hard Drive.
Kristen Shaw, hairstylist to Hillary Swank, Shailene Woodley and Emma Watson, previously told NBC News Shopping she recommends the ghd Classic flat iron. A similar option that is discounted during the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale is the Black Platinum+ 1-Inch Styler, which sports curved plates to simplify curling, waving and straightening your hair.
Nearly 6,700 customers gave these Black Zella leggings a 4.6-star rating. These moisture-wicking leggings feature a non-slip elastic band plus are available in Grey Foreged. Zella kept size inclusivity in mind, offering the same style for plus-size women and expectant mothers.
Fit your smartphone, long-lasting lipstick and other essentials in Tory Burch’s grainy leather bag, which is available in Black. The universal shade is both timeless and complements your outfits, no matter the season. You can also securely carry the purse on your shoulder or crossbody thanks to the magnetic flap closure.
While there are countless wine glasses to choose from, this set of four from JoyJolt Spirits is Amazon’s No. 2 bestselling when it comes to wine glasses. They are dishwasher-safe and include a clean and modern design. Additionally, they are made from shatter-resistant glass, rather than plastic, meaning these elegant glasses are durable enough for everyday use.
This upright vacuum is lightweight and features swivel steering to easily maneuver around furniture and other obstacles. It includes a HEPA filter that catches dust and other particles, while its anti-allergen complete seal prevents them from escaping back into the air. For convenience, the brand’s Lift Away technology allows you to detach the canister and clean hard-to-reach areas.
More shopping guide and recommendations
- Best fans to shop right now
- Nordstrom Anniversary Sale: Shop kids
- Beach day musts: What one tech expert always brings along
- Why Apple AirPods are the best wireless earbuds