Select is editorially independent. Our editors selected these deals and items because we think you will enjoy them at these prices. If you purchase something through our links, we may earn a commission. Pricing and availability are accurate as of publish time.
With Labor Day around the corner, it’s a good time to think about upgrading hiking gear or apparel while saving hundreds of dollars. Retailers like REI are especially equipped to hand over significant savings on everything from outdoor gear and hiking boots to tents and sleeping bags. Naturally, we’re turning to the best Labor Day sales and deals at REI to consider right now. Some of these sales and deals are only around for a limited time: We will be updating this list regularly with new sales and deals to consider.
Best Labor Day sales at REI by section
To give you an idea of what’s on sale, here are some sale highlights across brands and products.
Save on tents and sleeping bags
- 40 percent off REI Co-op Joule and Igneo sleeping bags
- 25 percent off select REI Co-op Kingdom tents and 30 percent off select REI Co-op Trail Hut tents
- 25 percent off select Big Agnes Torchlight sleeping bags, Dog House tents and Tiger Wall tents
Save on outdoors gear and accessories
- 30 percent off REI Co-op brand furniture
- Up to 30 percent off Goal Zero solar panels and solar kits, battery packs and power stations
- 30 percent off MPOWERD lighting kits
- Up to 35 percent off select sunglasses, including polarized styles from Smith, Native Eyewear, Julbo and Sunsuki
- 25 percent off select Tilley hats
- 25 percent off Nathan running gear and accessories
- 25 percent off first aid kits from Adventure Medical Kits Mountain Series Hiker Medical Kit, Hart and more.
- 25 percent off sunscreen from Badger, Thinksport, Raw Elements and more.
- 20 percent off Burley bicycle trailers
Save on clothing
- 25 percent off Arc’teryx outerwear, bags and accessories
- 30 percent off Brooks sports bras
- Up to 70 percent off clothes on clearance
Save on footwear
- 25 percent off Salomon shoes and footwear (excludes ski and snowboarding boots)
- Up to 50 percent off sandals on clearance
- 25 percent off select KEEN hiking footwear
- 20 percent off Merrel Moab footwear
- 25 percent off select Altra running shoes
Save on travel bags
- 25 percent off Osprey Ozone, Gregory, Deuter, REI Co-op brand luggage and travel packs
- 25 percent off North Face Rolling Thunder luggage
- 30 percent off Sherpani bags
Best Labor Day deals at REI
Marrying style and summer-ready function, these leather hiking boots from Salomon are waterproof, sport the brand’s proprietary Contagrip rubber soles and are designed with running shoes-design in mind. More than 450 REI reviewers left this pair with a 4.25-star average rating. The deal is part of a larger sale: 25 percent off Salomon shoes and footwear.
If you’re in the market for a new bike, consider Cannondale’s Topstone Carbon 105 bicycle. It’s lightweight and designed for riding on both dirt and pavement with elevated control and traction. You can store your water or gear on the multiposition mounts located on the down tube, top tube and seat tube. And it’s equipped with hydraulic disc brakes, which increases your stopping power (and ultimately require less than maintenance over time).
These highly-rated sandals from Teva are designed for casual wear. A water-ready polyester webbing structure allows you to wade into creeks and will dry quickly afterward. The topsoles are made of mesh and built to form to your feet while EVA foam outsoles keep up your traction. The deal is part of a larger sale: Up to 50 percent of sandals on clearance.
Sports bras are important. Laura Tempesta, a former sports bra innovation director at Nike and founder of Bravolution advised us for our guide to the best sports bras: “Put as much effort into finding the right sports bra size as you would finding the right pair of running shoes.” The Fiona Sports Bra is designed for medium-impact activities, sports molded cups and an adjustable, padded back closure. More than 170 reviewers left it a 4.1-star average rating. The deal is part of a larger sale: 30 percent off Brooks bras.
This highly-rated insulated hoodie features the brand’s proprietary Coreloft insulation and allows air in through side panels designed as an outer layer (or mid layer). The DWR-rated water-repellent first layer should help keep you dry and zippered chest pocket allows for small-item storage. Nearly 450 REI reviewers left this hoodie a 4.75-star average rating. The deal is part of a larger sale:25 percent off Arc’teryx outerwear, bags and accessories
Stay cozy during the upcoming fall season in this North Face fleece featuring two zippered hand pockets and an angled zipper chest pocket on the left side to store your antimicrobial face mask. There are elbow patches on the sleeve meant to improve the durability of the jacket. The men’s fleece —which has a 4.8-average star rating from 26 reviews on The North Face’s website —is available in three colors, Cedar Brown, Cardinal Red and Tnf Black.
If you’re looking for a transition jacket from summer to fall, then consider the Ac’teryx Atom LT Hoodie. It’s Tyono 20 shell allows good air permeability for when you’re working up a sweat, while Coreloft 60 insulation keeps you warm in dry or damp conditions. It is also ideal for rainy days with a durable water repellent outer layer and is available in three colorways, Black, Exosphere and Illusion.
If you’re planning to spend your holiday weekend camping or hiking, you may want to bring a sturdy bag for your stuff. This bag is designed for outdoor activities and made from durable ripstop nylon. The mesh back panel allows for ventilation, and compression straps help keep the pack's weight close to your back for stability for optimal comfort. Not only are there two bottle holders to keep your water handy, but also an access port on the left side that can accommodate a hydration reservoir tube (not included). If you ever find yourself unsafe while on a hike, the sternum strap buckle also works as a survival whistle. It is available in Black and Dark Army Cot.
Enjoy the last weeks of summer with a trip to the beach, lake or pool in this one-piece swimsuit. It is available in a variety of fun colors, floral designs — Moss Haku and Perlita — and Moss Rainbow, a green and multicolor striped bathing suit. The swimsuit also offers Ultraviolet Protection Factor (UPF) 50+ protection. In our guide to UPF hats Todd Minars, MD, a board-certified dermatologist in Florida, said UPF rating measures UVA and UVB radiation from the sun that can penetrate their clothes and reach their skin. Just don’t forget to pack and reapply sunscreen. A few popular SPF options include: spray sunscreen, acne-prone screen and sunscreen designed for darker skin tones that won’t leave behind a dreaded white cast.
If you’re planning a camping getaway with your friend or significant other, don’t forget to pack a tent that is ideal for a two-person camping trip. The freestanding dome design and equal length poles allow for easy set-up. There are two entry-ways available and two vestibules to store your gear and protect them from the elements. Enjoy the night sky and breeze when you roll up the fly doors over the roof for added ventilation. The tent includes the footprint, a rainfly, stakes and guylines with tighteners.
More shopping guides and recommendations
- Best vacuums according to cleaning experts
- A simplified guide to buying a dishwasher
- Touchland hand sanitizer is now available at Target
- Wine accessories you're probably forgetting