GREENVILLE, Maine — Thumper, a black Labrador retriever, is getting credit for saving a man when a fire swept through his home in the south-central part of the state.
Roland Cote said his wife and their 7-year-old grandson were away when the blaze started early Sunday in a converted two-story garage.
He said Thumper grabbed him by the arm to wake him, leaving just enough time for him to dial 911 before fleeing the fast-moving fire.
While the dog is the hero, a cat is the bad guy in this story.
Cat's fur burned
Cote said the fire marshal investigator believes the blaze was started when Princess, the family cat, tipped over a kerosene lantern.
Cote says he and his pets escaped safely, but he says Princess did get her tail singed by the flames.
© 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.