The first of the wounded and sick women and children trapped in the besieged Baba Amro district of Homs were evacuated on Friday as international pressure mounted on the Syrian government to call a cease-fire and allow in humanitarian aid.
The International Committee of the Red Cross said the Syrian Arab Red Crescent initially brought out seven women and children and took them to a hospital in Homs.
A further 20 uninjured women and children were evacuated later and taken to "a safe area," ICRC chief spokeswoman Carla Haddad said.
"It's a first step forward," Haddad told Reuters. "The priority now is evacuating the seriously wounded or sick.
The Red Cross said Friday that aid workers are in the Syrian city of Homs negotiating with authorities and rebels to evacuate all wounded.
ICRC spokesman Hicham Hassan told The Associated Press his group and the Syrian Arab Red Crescent have been in Baba Amr, the neighborhood in Homs that has become the center of the Syrian revolt, since Friday afternoon.
The Red Cross has appealed to Syria's government and opposition groups to allow daily two-hour cease-fires so it can deliver relief supplies and evacuate the wounded and sick.
But opposition groups had previously described the shelling as indiscriminate.
Syrian activists put the death toll at more than 7,300. Overall figures cannot be independently confirmed because of Syria's tight control on the media.
The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.
© 2013 msnbc.com