Welcome to The Lid, your afternoon dose of the 2016 ethos… Hillary Clinton said Monday that she attended Donald Trump’s wedding because “it’s always entertaining,” which in fairness is the same casual excuse you used for attending your college roommate’s Star Wars-themed birthday party… in a full Boba Fett costume.
Get The Lid straight to your inbox each afternoon -- click here to sign up.
’16 AT 30 THOUSAND
Hillary Clinton showed Monday that she has at least one thing in common with most of the GOP 2016 contenders: She’s also being forced to maneuver around the media behemoth that is Donald Trump to get oxygen for her policy proposals and for her attacks on other GOP rivals. In a press conference after announcing her new college affordability plan, she made clear that her target of the moment is Marco Rubio, whose recent comments on abortion she called “as offensive and troubling a comment as you could hear from a major candidate running for the presidency.” Rubio enjoyed plenty of positive reviews for his performance during the debate, but Clinton’s not wrong to suggest that, in a Trump-less universe, Rubio’s statement last week appearing to dispute that he supports a rape and incest exception for abortion bans would have gotten even more attention.
POPPING ON NBC POLITICS
- Donald Trump says that Fox News chief Roger Ailes promised him “fair” treatment.
- NBC’s Perry Bacon Jr. offers a deep dive into Hillary Clinton’s college affordability plan and how it would work.
- Hillary Clinton on Monday condemned Donald Trump for his recent comments about Fox News host Megyn Kelly, adding that she thinks the real-estate mogul is "having the time of his life" leading the GOP presidential primary.
- MSNBC’s Alex Seitz-Wald reports that Bernie Sanders has rolled out his plan to address racial injustice.
- NBC News obtained documents showing Chinese cyber-spies have accessed the private emails of "many" top Obama administration officials, a detail GOP candidates have seized on to attack Hillary Clinton.
CAMPAIGN QUICK READS
CLINTON: It didn’t take long for her GOP opponents to trash her college affordability plan.
From the AP: “Hillary Rodham Clinton told a cheering crowd at her largest rally so far that "the endless flow of secret, unaccountable money" must be stopped. Two weeks later, the main super PAC backing her bid for the Democratic presidential nomination accepted a $1 million contribution that cannot be traced.”
O’MALLEY: He told our own Andrea Mitchell that the DNC’s move to cap Democratic presidential debates to six is “undemocratic.”
TRUMP: CNN reports that he’ll appear on FOX tomorrow for the first time since the debate.
FOR THE RECORD…
“I’ve decided to randomly put his name into my remarks at various points, thereby ensuring that the news media will cover what I have to say.”
Bobby Jindal, joking about using Donald Trump’s name to get media coverage of his attacks on Democratic candidates.
Hillary Clinton continues campaigning in New Hampshire. Rand Paul and John Kasich are also in the Granite State.
Je Bush participates in a presidential forum at the Ronald Reagan Library.
Ted Cruz continues his bus tour in Mississippi and Tennessee.