Feedback
News
France Truck Attack

Nice Attack Investigation: No Sign Driver Was Tied to Terrorist Networks

Thousands Observe Moment of Silence to Honor Attack Victims 0:41

An investigation into the Nice truck attack hasn't yielded any direct links to terror networks but there were clear signs the driver was interested in radical Islam, the Paris prosecutor said Monday.

Prosecutor Francois Molins shared new details of the investigation at a press conference, a few hours after France observed a moment of silence for victims of the carnage.

Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel killed 84 people and wounded over 200 others when he plowed a white refrigerator truck down the packed Nice beachfront on Thursday night.

Family and friends of Bouhlel, a 31-year-old Tunisian, have described him as a violent and troubled individual — not a jihadist.

Nice Attacker's Father Speaks out on Son's Troubled Past 2:25

But French officials have called the bloodbath a terror attack, with Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve saying over the weekend that it appeared Boulel had been "recently" radicalized.

He told the RTL radio station on Monday that links between the attacker and any terror networks "for now have not been established" by the investigation.

The Paris prosecutor echoed those remarks to reporters, saying that Bouhlel had recently developed a keen interest in radical Islam.

"If there are no elements in the investigation to suggest at this stage an allegiance to ISIS nor links with individuals from the group ... he showed a certain recent interest for radical jihadist movements," Molins said.

The prosecutor told reporters that the attack was clearly "premeditated," citing evidence that Bouhlel had posed for selfies on the Nice promenade and made reconnaissance trips there.

Molins said analysis of Bouhlel's computer showed online searches dating back to July 1 about terror attacks and terror groups, ISIS propaganda and violent imagery.

Bouhlel also recently had grown out his beard "for religious reasons," Molins added, telling reporters that the "terrorist" had expressed support for ISIS to acquaintances and shown one a beheading video.

The revelations came just a few hours after France paused for a moment of silence to honor the victims of the attack. Thirteen of the victims have yet to be identified, according to Molins.

Drone Shows Massive Scale of Nice Memorial 0:33

Earlier Monday a sea of people — including Prime Minister Manuel Valls — gathered on the Nice promenade, the only sound audible being the snap of camera shutters.

When the tribute was over the crowd broke into applause then started to sing the national anthem.

Similar tributes were paid in Paris and around the country in a solemn ceremony that has become painfully familiar.

Nice was the third major attack to hit France in 18 months — a reality that has sparked deep anger toward the government for failing to thwart the bloodshed.

Valls was booed and jeered as he went to lay flowers on the promenade after the moment of silence was held, with one man heard shouting "where were the police" on July 15.

Amid the ongoing criticism, French President Francois Hollande chaired a meeting of the defense and security council on Monday at Elysee Palace.

After the meeting, Cazeneuve said even more police will be put on patrol for the summer months but stressed there was no such thing as "zero risk."