May is here, and limited-time deals are beginning to blossom.
A number of retail categories are seeing some sweet sales that include camping gear, spring apparel, tech, and travel. Retailers are angling to push products that could be great gifts for Mother's Day, graduation ceremonies, weddings ... and yes, Star Wars Day on May 4.
Here's a look at some of the best deals, along with some advice from retail experts.
"For the longest time, tech was seen as male-centric, but when you look at the success of things like Fitbit, the majority of that growth came from women," said Marshal Cohen, chief industry analyst of the NPD Group. "Women are the biggest growth opportunity on the tech side whether it be phones, computers, and even watches, another traditionally male-centric category."
Retailers are targeting women in particular with some of their tech offerings, with Mother's Day on the way, but tech items that would be great gifts for new grads are also on sale.
Brent Shelton, online shopping expert at FatWallet.com points to the following deals available now:
- AT&T: Fitbit Charge Activity Tracker $54.50 (was $129)
- Walmart: Fitbit Blaze $197.97 +free shipping
- Macys: Fitbit Alta $129 +free shipping
- Best Buy: Apple Sport Watch $299
- Amazon: Basis Peak — Ultimate Fitness and Sleep Tracker — $199.99 (was $250) with free shipping for Prime
- Target: Mio Fuse Heart Rate Training and Activity Band S/M — $99.99 (was $149.99) with free shipping
- Rakuten: Xiaomi Mi Band for $25.95 +free shipping
- Crutchfield: Garmin Vivosmart HR for $129.99 +free shipping
- Groupon: Jawbone UP3 Activity Tracker — $89.99 (was $129.99) with free shipping
Over at Microsoft, you can save up to $500 when you buy a select Windows 10 PC, now through July 3, a Microsoft spokesperson confirmed. From May 1 thru Mary 28, you save $75 dollars when you purchase a Microsoft Band.
More Microsoft deals will be going live on May 15, the spokesperson said.
Many people plan camping trips for Memorial Day weekend, which falls on the last weekend in May. So expect some good sales on outdoorsy stuff like tents and fishing gear.
"Camping gear was prominently featured in Memorial Day sales last year from outdoor retailers like Cabela's, Sears, and Bass Pro Shops," said Sara Skirboll, savings expert at RetailMeNot.
"Tents, coolers and related items were discounted as deeply as 50 percent, so look for similar deals this year," she said.
Skirboll also referred to the following deals on RetailMeNot.com:
- $20 off $75 online only for Sports Authority from May 4 through May 7
- Up to 20 percent off fishing equipment at Bass Pro Shops through May 31
Didn't get enough spring clothes during the April sales? Well, you're still in luck. Many retailers are trying to clear out inventory so they can make room for summer items.
"Spring [seemed to start] abnormally early this year, and then it got cold in many places," said Cohen, adding that the unpredictable weather caused many shoppers to hold off on buying spring apparel.
Courtney Jespersen, retail expert for NerdWallet recommends the following deals:
- American Eagle: buy one, get one 50 percent off jeans and shorts
- Forever 21: Extra 30 percent off qualifying sale items (online-only, code SPRING30)
- Macy's: 'Friends and Family Sale' through May 2 (take extra 25 percent off select purchases and free shipping at $25, code FRIEND)
"May signals the '50 days to summer mark' that officially kicks off vacation booking season," said Shelton, "when online travel retailers and online travel agents start pushing timely deals and savings on summer vacation packages, hotels, vacation rentals, car rental discounts, local deals and coupons for activities and events and luggage."
Access the following deals now:
- Priceline: Up to $500 off Florida vacation packages (+15 percent cash back from FatWallet)
- Hotels.com: Birthday deals Up to 40 percent off + extra 5 percent off (+6 percent cash back from FatWallet)
- Travelocity: Up to 70 percent off hotels (+6 percent cash back from FatWallet)
Star Wars Day stuff
Even Hollywood blockbusters have a holiday! May 4th (derived from the pun "May the Fourth be with you") is Star Wars Day. On May 4, expect plenty of one-day-only sales on all things Star Wars.
"You'll find discounts on movies, video games, apparel, memorabilia and basically anything with Darth Vader on it," said Jespersen. "Last year, I spotted Star Wars deals at places like Amazon and the Disney Store. Use this day as your opportunity to stock up on movie merchandise for yourself or for the Star Wars fan in your life."
These deals will mostly be limited to May 4, so be sure and check online and in-store on that day.