updated 2/16/2007 6:35:43 PM ET 2007-02-16T23:35:43

A mother wept Friday as a judge found her 14-year-old son guilty of participating in the group sexual assault of an 11-year-old girl last year.

The boy was the first to go to trial in connection with the case in which 11 people have pleaded guilty to sexual assault charges.

Milwaukee County Children's Court Judge Dennis Cimpl said DNA and other evidence, including a DVD of the 11-year-old, confirmed the boy's participation in the assault.

"The incontrovertible testimony of the victim is compelling and believable," he said. "There's no question this 11-year-old girl is telling the truth that she was brutally raped that evening."

According to court documents, the 11-year-old went to a 16-year-old girl's home on Labor Day, and the older girl encouraged her to perform sex acts with males in the house. Police eventually came to the door looking for the 11-year-old, who had been reported missing.

Seven adults, six juveniles and two juveniles charged as adults are accused of participating in the assault. Darnell J. Gurley, 18, Kelvin L. Bonds Jr., 19, and Eric Ezell, 21, have been sentenced after pleading guilty to first-degree sexual assault of a child.

Three other adults have pleaded guilty to the same charge and await sentencing later this month. A fourth, Altonio L. Chaney, 22, pleaded not guilty to that charge and no contest to a misdemeanor charge of having sex with a child 16 or older.

Two teens charged as adults pleaded not guilty to first-degree sexual assault of a child. A jury trial is scheduled for Leon S. Barnes, 15, in June and for Santerious Gordon, 17, in July.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Discussion comments


Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments