Video: Casino catches fire

updated 3/20/2009 1:58:24 PM ET 2009-03-20T17:58:24

A kitchen fire at the Empress Casino in northern Illinois forced the evacuation of guests and workers Friday.

Police Lt. Stephen Breen said there were no reports of injuries. The fire started in a kitchen area under renovation, he said. It had not spread to the rest of the casino in Joliet.

Casino guests and workers were evacuated as a precaution and the nearby parking garage was cleared, he said.

Welders apparently started the Friday morning blaze, Breen said. A spark was believed to have hit some grease around the ceiling area, but that it was too soon to say exactly what happened.

An investigation continued.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Discuss:

Discussion comments

,

Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments