SYDNEY — A popular Australian DJ was dumped as a judge on television's "Australian Idol" Monday as a national backlash continued over a radio stunt in which a teenage girl hooked up to a polygraph revealed that she had been raped.
Kyle Sandilands, co-host of a top-rated morning radio program, was also off the radio Monday and his station said the "Kyle and Jackie O Show" was on hold indefinitely.
On last Wednesday's 2Day FM breakfast program, a 14-year-old girl was hooked up to a lie detector and asked on air about her sexual history, at her mother's request.
When the girl revealed she had been raped when she was 12, Sandilands responded, "Is that the only experience you've had?"
His reaction raised an immediate furor that led to Sandilands issuing several apologies to the girl and to the public. Prime Minister Kevin Rudd said he was "distressed" at the way the girl had been treated, and New South Wales state government ordered an investigation into the girl's rape claim.
Network Ten, which broadcasts "Australian Idol," said in a statement that Sandilands' radio image was out of step with the talent show's family-style audience.
"We thank Kyle for his contribution to 'Australian Idol' over the last four years," the statement said. "But it has become increasingly clear that as 'Idol' has remained a family-focused show ... his radio persona has taken on a more controversial position over this period which is not in the interest of the show."
Sandilands had been a judge on the show since 2005.
"I'm disappointed at Channel 10's decision to remove me from Australian Idol," Sandilands said in a statement. "I have truly loved being a part of the show and wish everyone involved all of the success for this coming season."
The "Kyle and Jackie O Show" had previously aired segments about people stripping for money and the search for Sydney's smallest penis.
More on: Australia
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.