Image: The home of Amy Henslee
Andrew Lersten  /  AP
Amy Henslee was last seen alive by her husband at their home in Hartford Township, Mich., on Monday. staff and news service reports
updated 1/28/2011 12:35:24 PM ET 2011-01-28T17:35:24

A 34-year-old man has been charged with murder in the shooting deaths of a mother of two and another woman after authorities found their bodies buried in southwest Michigan.

Junior Lee Beebe of Bangor was arraigned Friday by video at the District Court in Paw Paw on two counts of open murder and two counts of possession of a firearm during a felony. He was ordered held without bond.

    1. Hoffman withdrew $1,200 hours before death: sources

      Philip Seymour Hoffman withdrew a total of $1,200 from an ATM at a supermarket near his New York City apartment the night before he was found lifeless in his bathroom with a syringe still in his left arm, sources told NBC News.

    2. NYC mayor will skip St. Pat's parade over gay ban
    3. Indiana man back home 18 years after abduction
    4. 32 states in the path of another wild storm
    5. Judge vows quick ruling on Va. marriage ban

The bodies of 30-year-old mom, Amy Henslee, and 36-year-old Tonya Howarth, were found buried in a wooded area in Bangor Township, about 60 miles southwest of Grand Rapids, after a tracker dog discovered traces of blood Thursday afternoon.

Henslee was last seen by her husband as he left their Hartford Township home for work Monday.

Court-appointed defense lawyer David Hunt says he couldn't immediately comment on the case.

Van Buren County Prosecutor Juris Kaps first told reporters of the bodies' discovery at a news conference earlier Friday.

Kaps said Beebe is a cousin of Henslee's husband. Howarth and Beebe were in a relationship, a family member told NBC station WOOD-TV.

"Like any couple, they argued, they fought," the station quoted the relative as saying.

Police found the bodies on land occupied by Beebe, who also goes by the name BJ, WOOD-TV reported.

Authorities said they have information indicating that Henslee left her home with Beebe voluntarily, WOOD-TV reported.

James Henslee became concerned after he could not reach his wife at home after several attempts, the Kalamazoo Gazette reported on its website. He called the police after the stay-at-home mom didn't show up to meet the couple's 8 and 10-year-old sons after school, the paper said.

The Associated Press and staff contributed to this report.


Discussion comments


Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments