He should have used his Spidey sense — or common sense. A Seattle man trying to kill a spider used a can of spray paint and a lighter in an attempt to torch the pest Tuesday night — but ended up setting part of his home on fire, officials said. Fire crews rushed to the scene just before 8:30 p.m. local time to extinguish the blaze, which began in the laundry room and traveled along a wall to the roof, said Seattle Fire Department spokesman Kyle Moore.
The unidentified 24-year-old and his mom, who are renting the home, were able to get out unharmed. Still, “we don’t suggest people use fire to get rid of bugs,” Moore said. It was an expensive mistake: Damages total about $60,000, Moore told NBC News. Red Cross has found the family temporary housing. As for the troublesome arachnid, the man may have accomplished his goal. Moore doesn’t believe the spider cheated death. “I’m pretty sure it didn’t survive,” he said.