Breaking News Emails
Prosecutors announced Tuesday morning that there is potential for a superceding indictment against Martin Shkreli, including securities fraud.
The prosecutor said that the new charges would be related to existing allegations that Shkreli and co-defendant Evan Greebel defrauded Retrophin and that no new individuals would be added to the case. The new indictment would be brought forth within a month, according to the prosecutor who spoke at the U.S. Federal Court in Brooklyn.
"We don't believe the indictment will change anything," Benjamin Brafman, Shkreli's attorney, said outside of the courthouse. He added that he doesn't believe it would make the case more difficult for Shkreli. Brafman also said that the defense may need to explore the possibility of severing the case and splitting it into two different trials.
When a reporter asked Brafman whether the government has offered a plea deal, Shkreli's attorney did not directly answer the question. Both Shkreli and Greebel have already pleaded not guilty.
Following the proceedings, Shkreli tweeted in response to a comment on the securities fraud charges he faces. Brafman had previously insisted that Shkreli stop speaking to members of the press.
The pinned December tweet on Shkreli's account asserts his confidence in his ability to "prevail" adding that "the allegations against [him] are baseless and without merit."
The next hearing is currently scheduled for June 6.
The defense attorneys said that they've been inundated with 70 gigabytes of documents which is inhibiting them from processing the case quickly.