IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Casey Anthony jury sees graphic photos of tot's skull

Casey Anthony cried, dabbed her eyes with a tissue and looked away as pictures of her 2-year-old daughter Caylee's skull were displayed in an Orlando courtroom.
Casey Anthony reacts to evidence photos showing the skeletal remains of her daughter Caylee Anthony shown during her trial at the Orange County Courthouse, Thursday, June 9, 2011 in Orlando, Fla.Joe Burbank / AP
/ Source: staff and news service reports

Casey Anthony cried, dabbed her eyes with a tissue and looked away as pictures of her 2-year-old daughter Caylee's skull were displayed in an Orlando courtroom.

Judge Belvin Perry warned people in the courtroom Thursday morning that graphic photos would be shown. He asked anyone who might get queasy to leave during a short recess before prosecutors called a crime scene investigator from the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

"If you cannot control your emotions, this will be a good time to exit," Perry said.

Anthony is charged with first-degree murder. Prosecutors say she used duct tape to suffocate her daughter in the summer of 2008. The defense contends that the little girl drowned in her grandparents' pool. The child's remains were found about six months later.

As crime scene investigator Jennifer Welch took the stand, jurors viewed a series of photos depicting the wooded area near the Anthony home where Caylee's remains were found in December 2008, as well as pictures of her skull and pieces of duct tape that were on it.

Prosecutors say duct tape wrapped three times around the skull, including the mouth and nose area, is the only evidence indicating cause of death.

A deputy medical examiner also detailed a series photos taken of evidence collected from the scene.

He said that an examination of the duct tape covering Caylee's skull showed multiple pieces still affixed to it.

"The pieces of tape were attached to each other," Dr. Gary Utz said. "They were not separated...It appeared to be more than one (piece)."

Earlier Thursday, Casey Anthony's brother testified and said his sister told him a nanny took her daughter in June 2008 because she didn't believe the Orlando woman was being a good mother.

Prosecutors recalled Lee Anthony to the stand as they continued presenting their case against the 25-year-old woman accused of killing her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee.

Defense attorneys have said the child drowned.

Lee Anthony testified his sister provided this version of the toddler's disappearance while she was free on bond in August 2008. According to his testimony, Casey Anthony told him the nanny, whom she named as Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez, met her in an Orlando park and held her down with the help of her sister.

He testified his sister told him the nanny was controlling her and took the child because "Casey was not being a good mother to Caylee or wouldn't be a good mother to Caylee," he said according to the Orlando Sentinel.

"[They took] Caylee from her to teach her a lesson."

Despite Casey Anthony's description of the babysitter, whom she and others called "Zanny", investigators have not been able to locate her and say that she does not exist, the Orlando Sentinel reported.

Testimony was in its 14th day, with prosecutors set to draw connections between chloroform present in Casey Anthony's trunk and Internet searches about the chemical performed three months before her toddler disappeared.

John Dennis Bradley testified Wednesday that someone using the Anthony family's desktop computer searched the website for "chloroform" 84 times on March 21, 2008.