The people who killed former Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi will be put on trial, a senior official in the new regime reportedly told a news conference Thursday.
The 69-year-old was seized by National Transitional Council fighters who filmed themselves beating him before he died, although it remains unclear who actually killed him.
His rotting corpse was displayed to the public for four days before being buried Tuesday in a secret desert grave.
"With regards to Gadhafi, we do not wait for anybody to tell us," Abdel Hafiz Ghoga, vice-chairman of the ruling National Transitional Council, told a news conference in Benghazi, according to several reports including one in The Egyptian Gazette.
"We had already launched an investigation. We have issued a code of ethics in handling of prisoners of war. I am sure that was an individual act and not an act of revolutionaries or the national army," he said.
"Whoever is responsible for that (Gadhafi's killing) will be judged and given a fair trial," he added.
Meanwhile, an adviser to the president of Niger said that Gadhafi's intelligence chief had reached the Kidal region of Mali overnight after crossing through the Niger desert, and that Gadhafi's son Seif al-Islam was also on his way.
The adviser, who could not be named due to the sensitivity of the matter, spoke by telephone from the northern Nigerien city of Agadez, where Tuareg elders held meetings late into the night to discuss how to deal with the matter.
The intelligence chief, Abdullah al-Senoussi, and Seif al-Islam, are the two surviving members of Gadhafi's regime that are wanted by the International Criminal Court.
The adviser said that al-Senoussi had been escorted across the dunes by Malian Tuaregs and was in a desert camp in the region of Kidal in northern Mali. Gadhafi's son was expected to follow the same route.