Apple’s software code isn’t bulletproof. Far from it.
A major security crack, aptly nicknamed “GoTo Fail,” could give malicious hackers carte blanche to creep on your Apple goodies -- iPhones, iPads, iPod touches, and Mac laptops and desktop computers included.
But you don’t have to be a sitting duck. Not if you install the security patches that Apple has issued. First, the Cupertino, Calif.-tech mammoth somewhat stealthily released the 7.0.6 iOS patch last Friday. The fix safeguards iPhones 4 and 5, the second generation iPad and the fifth generation iPod touch. Then, just about two hours ago, the company issued the OS X Mavericks 10.9.2 patch for Mac laptop and Mac desktop devices.
Related: This Apple iWatch Concept Design is Simply Incredible
If you haven’t already installed the security patches on your devices, you’re leaving them wide open to cyber criminals who could eavesdrop on virtually everything on them that’s linked to an Apple app (Calendar, Mail, Safari, FaceTime, etc.), and even third-party apps that rely on Apple’s SSL encryption (Twitter, Facebook, banking apps, etc.).
Before you get caught in the middle of a Man-In-the-Middle (MITM) attack, follow the simple steps below:
To install Apple’s iOS security patch on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch:
1. From your device’s home screen, select Settings.
2. Select General.
3. Select Software Update. At this point you should see a message about iOS 7.0.6, noting that the “security update provides a fix for SSL connection verification.” (A patch for the Apple iPhone 3GS and fourth-generation Apple iPod touch is available via iOS 6.1.6 update.)
4. Select Download and Install. The installation will initialize after you agree to the Terms and Conditions.
To install the Apple’s OS X security patch on your Mac laptop or Mac desktop computer:
1. Go the main Apple menu (signified by an the famed Apple icon) on the upper left side of your Mac laptop or desktop computer screen.
2. Select Software Update. Doing so will launch the Apple App Store.
3. Select the OS X Mavericks 10.9.2. security update by clicking Update. Your update will automatically begin once you agree to the Terms and Conditions. (Security patches for older Mac operating systems, including Lion and Mountain Lion are also available.)
4. To finish the installation and restart your computer, click Restart.