IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Ammon Bundy, Brother Ryan Ordered Held as Occupation of Oregon Refuge Continues

Ammon Bundy repeated his call through his attorneys that the four people still at the refuge should go home.
Get more newsLiveon

Two leaders of a group of anti-government protesters that occupied an Oregon wildlife refuge for nearly a month were ordered to remain jailed Friday, as the handful who remained ignored requests to surrender.

Ammon Bundy and his brother Ryan were among four intercepted and arrested on a highway Tuesday, in an encounter that left one of the protesters, Robert "LaVoy" Finicum, dead.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Stacie Beckerman ruled that the Bundys posed a flight risk or danger to the community and ordered them to remain jailed, according to court records. Ammon Bundy’s attorneys said they plan to appeal.

The armed group occupied the Malheur National Wildlife Center near Burns on Jan. 2, in protest of what they called government overreach in the sentencing of two ranchers convicted of arson. The group has also called for the federal government to turn over public land to local control.

Through his attorneys, Ammon Bundy repeated his call that those still at the refuge leave. "He is still pleading with those at the refuge to go home," one of Bundy’s attorneys, Lissa Casey, said.

Eleven people in all have been arrested in connection with the occupation. They are all charged with conspiracy to impede officers of the United States from discharging their official duties through the use of force, threats or intimidation.

On Thursday, the FBI released video recorded from a plane showing the death of Finicum, who was shot by a state trooper during the arrests.

Related: How the Feds Intercepted Oregon Occupiers

Authorities say he fled from police in a truck, nearly ran over an officer, and then exited and reached for his front shirt pocket, which contained a loaded 9 mm handgun.

The FBI on Thursday released the full video of the arrest and shooting and posted it online in the interest of transparency. Some supporters of the group have posted claims online that Finicum had his hands up when he was shot.

Finicum’s family said Friday they don't believe the shooting was justified. "It was the FBI that chose to escalate the situation to force a confrontation, and violent ending," Finicum's family said in a statement.

"He appears to have been gesturing, or trying to keep his balance while moving in the deep snow," the Finicum family said. "Although he may have been animated, he does not appear to have been threatening or posing any real threat or danger to anyone."

A funeral will be held for Finicum in Kanad, Utah, on Feb. 5.