Former French President Denounces 'Stasi' Phone Taps
Former French president Nicolas Sarkozy attends the inauguration of the Claude Pompidou Institute, a new centre for care and research of Alzheimer disease, on March 10 in Nice, southeastern France.VALERY HACHE / AFP - Getty Images
Breaking News Emails
Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.
Former French President Nicolas Sarkozy has attacked the phone-tapping conducted by magistrates investigating him, breaking his silence on the subject to liken the actions to those of the "Stasi" police of former Communist East Germany.
In a letter to be published in Le Figaro newspaper on Friday, Sarkozy — who is widely expected to stand for election again in 2017 — said the phone-tapping had broken "fundamental principles," the judiciary had been "instrumentalized" and "the sacred principles of our Republic have been trampled underfoot."
The letter was billed by the newspaper as Sarkozy's first political intervention since he lost the 2012 election to Socialist Francois Hollande.
Let our news meet your inbox. The news and stories that matters, delivered weekday mornings.
It came after his lawyer said earlier on Thursday he would make a legal complaint against the phone-tappings, which were done in connection with investigations into the funding of Sarkozy's successful 2007 election campaign.
Le Monde newspaper broke the news of their existence earlier this month.
"Today still, anyone who telephones me must know they are being listened to," he wrote. "This is not an extract from that marvelous (2006) film 'The Life of Others' on East Germany and the activities of the Stasi ... This is about France."
The investigation into Sarkozy was originally about allegations, denied by the ex-president, that late Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi funded his 2007 election campaign.
Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault said in a statement that Sarkozy, 59, had made a "grave moral error" by attacking the judiciary and the police.
Last week, a French court ordered a news website to withdraw a set of recordings secretly made by an adviser to Sarkozy during his 2012 election campaign.