A judge will allow the release of five remaining police video clips of Justin Bieber — taken after the singer was arrested in Miami Beach, Fla., in January — once a technician has blackened "sensitive" images from the footage.
Of the five clips reviewed by Miami-Dade County Judge William Altfield, one shows Bieber walking behind a partition, where he "appears to be urinating," according to Altfield's ruling, which was obtained by NBC News. But the partition "appears to block the defendant's activity."
In another clip, a police officer hands Bieber a cup and he stands behind a partition and "it is apparent that he is providing a urine sample." When Bieber gives the cup back to the officer, the partition does not completely block him and "possibly" reveals his genitals, according to the ruling. The other three clips show Bieber walking in and out of his cell.
"The Court finds that there exists a right to privacy as it relates to the exposure and dissemination of the defendant's genitalia," Altfield's ruling states. "As such, any images that depict or appear to depict the defendant's genitalia shall be restricted from disclosure.
Lawyers for Bieber, 20, attempted to block the videos' release on invasion of privacy grounds. The videos were sought by The Associated Press and other media organizations under Florida's public records law, which allows most evidence in a criminal case to be released to the media once it has been turned over to the defense team.
During a hearing on Tuesday, Altfield said the videos were public record but said the exposure of Bieber's genitalia was not relevant and said that the court needed to balance the privacy interest of Bieber against the public's right to know.
Bieber has pled not guilty to three misdemeanor charges of DUI, resisting arrest without violence, and driving with an expired license. The pop star was arrested on Jan. 23 after a 4:09 a.m. traffic stop during which Bieber cursed repeatedly at a police officer and acknowledged smoking marijuana, drinking and taking an unknown prescription medication, according to police.
The State Attorney's Office released nearly 10 hours of videos last week.
Another hearing has been scheduled for March 11. A trial date has not been set.