This story is part of Select's New & Notable column, where we highlight our favorite product launches, major sales, what we're buying and some of our latest recommendations and advice.
Weekends are for shopping — here's what the Select staff recommends to make the most of it.
New this week
- The new Amazon Fire 7 Tablet and Fire 7 Kids Tablet are available for preorder (shipping June 29). With the tablet’s first update since 2019, the Fire 7 is now equipped with USB-C charging ports and batteries that last 40% longer compared to previous models, Amazon says.
- Sony dropped their LinkBuds S, which start shipping today. Sony’s LinkBuds S are designed to deliver great sound, easy pairing and a comfortable fit, all of which associate editor Justin Krajeski found to be true during the two weeks he tried them (even as he continues to love Apple’s AirPods Pro). They also have noise cancellation features, in case you want to tune out the world.
- Allbirds launched its latest shoe, the Tree Flyer, which Krajeski wore for a couple of weeks before its release. The shoes are designed for distance running and notably feature a new SwiftFoam midsole that the brand says is 30% lighter compared to its SweetFoam midsole. Krajeski ran in the Tree Flyer for 15 miles and thinks they’re worth the price.
On sale this week
- Macy’s is offering up to 60% off select furniture and mattresses through May 30
- Ulta is offering up to 50% off hair care essentials through May 28
- Bed Bath and Beyond is offering up to 25% off select categories through May 30
- Madewell is offering up to 25% off through May 30 with code LONGWEEKEND
- The Company Store is offering up to 25% off through June 26 with code SUMMER22
What we bought this week
I just bought a pair of Oofos Men’s Ooahh Slide Sandals (which are available for women, too). I’d been looking for a good pair of sandals to wear around my apartment with the change in seasons and my friend had me try on his Oofos slippers — my god, they are squishy and supportive in all the right ways. Plus, I’ve been running a lot more lately and Oofos says their slides offer 37% more impact absorption than other sandals to reduce stress on your knees and ankles. Fine, sold (will update later on how my knees and ankles are doing). The Oofos come in sizes 3 to 16 and a wide range of colors. We’ve also written about Oofos in our guide to women’s sandals with arch support. — Justin Krajeski, associate editor
What we recommended this week
- To recommend the best children’s books by AAPI authors, we compiled the titles most highly rated by Goodreads users.
- To recommend the best lawn mowers, we spoke to landscaping experts about how to pick the right lawnmower for your lawn.
- To recommend the best floss, we consulted the products that got the ADA's seal of approval (experts say to use floss daily no matter which floss you use).
- We found the best Memorial Day sales — The Real Deal editor Kristin McGrath recommends looking for deals on large appliances like refrigerators as well as mattresses and baby items, including car seats and strollers.