Select is editorially independent. Our editors selected these deals and items because we think you will enjoy them at these prices. If you purchase something through our links, we may earn a commission. Pricing and availability are accurate as of publish time.
May brings many joyous occasions — Mother’s Day, graduation festivities, Asian American and Pacific Islander heritage month and Memorial Day — and several of these spring celebrations mean substantial sales at retailers. And while Mother’s Day deals have passed by and Memorial Day sales will mature later in the month, you’ll find deals and discounts on a variety of products throughout the month.
As we inch toward summer, many are exploring their vacation options and looking for deals on flights, hotels, and more. The demand for travel signifies a larger shift in spending away from goods and toward experiences, said Kristin McGrath, shopping editor at coupon website Retail Me Not. However, due to higher travel fares, increased fuel prices and staffing shortages, travel may be prohibitively expensive. McGrath instead recommends seeking out deals at local restaurants presented in a number of ways — “special summer menus, patio happy hours, brunch specials and even BOGO offers,” she highlighted. For those still set on getting away, here are the best credit cards for travel to help offset increased costs — the Chase Sapphire Preferred offers a welcome bonus that translates to about $1,000.
To give you an idea of the best sales and discounts during the month ahead, we consulted retail experts on what’s worth considering, as well as what’s not worth shopping for right now (if you can wait).
May sales to consider
We chose the sales below because we think you’ll find them interesting — they typically include multiple deals and, of course, not every single product in a sale is going to be the best deal around.
- Overstock: Up to 70% off rugs, patio furniture and more during the Spring Super Sale
- Macy's: Up to 55% off select designers through May 19
- Adidas: Up to 50% off select sale styles
- Lowe’s: Up to 50 percent off bathroom faucets and shower heads
- ASOS: Up to 30% off select styles through May 16
- Pink Moon: 30% select products through May 30
- Bear Mattress: 30% off sitewide with code MD30 through May 31 during the Memorial Day Sale
- Cozy Earth: Up to 30% off sitewide during the extended Mother’s Day sale while sales lasts
- The Company Store: Up to 30% off pillows and comforters and up to 25% off other select items through May 15 with code SUMMER22 during the Summer Sale
- Target: 25% off furniture and 20% off bedding through May 14
- Foodsaver: 25% off select sealers through May 14
- BioBidet: 25% off select bidets during the May Savings Event
- Allform: 20% off sitewide using code MDSale20 during the Early Access Memorial Day Sale
- SkinStore: Up to 15% off select products
- Avocado Green Mattress: 10% off sitewide through June 6
May deals to consider
We rounded up the best ongoing deals on highly rated products Select readers have shown an interest in, and did our best to note the value of each discount against historical pricing.
This highly rated adult lunchbox features a main compartment for storing your lunch and beverages, as well as smaller internal and external pockets for smaller snacks. The main compartment features a double zipper closure, and is lined with a premium-food safe lining that insulates food. It’s available in a variety of colors and patterns, including turquoise, cream and black camo. It has a 4.8-star average rating from over 400 reviews at Corkcicle.
These expert-recommended curtains are available at its lowest price since December, according to price tracker CamelCamelCamel. According to Amazon, these blackout curtains are machine-washable and are made in Oeko-TEX standard factory. The curtains feature two panels, as well as your choice of 1.5-inch grommets or rod pockets. Each set includes Velcro ties to keep the curtains open. They have a 4.5-star average rating from over 36,000 reviews on Amazon.
This expert-recommended flat iron is available at its lowest price ever at Amazon right now, according to CamelCamelCamel. According to the brand, the styling tool takes 60 seconds to heat up to the maximum temperature of 425 degrees Fahrenheit and automatically shuts off after an hour without use. It has a 4.7-star average rating from over 180 reviews on Amazon.
The Bissell Myair Air Purifier features a pre-filter, carbon filter and HEPA filter. This affordable air purifier also has a certification from the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM). It has three speed modes — low and high — and a third, quiet overnight sleep mode. The capacity for this model is just 88 square feet, so it may not be the best option for larger spaces. It has a 4.7-star average rating from over 7,500 reviews on Amazon. The Bissell Myair has occasionally been at this price over the last few months, but this is the lowest price since November, according to CamelCamelCamel.
What to buy in May
Flower sales have likely tapered since Mother’s Day, but according to McGrath, fine jewelry deals will come right after the holiday. “If retailers don’t sell the sentimental pendants, sparkly earrings and engraved bracelets by May 8, they’ll mark them down to offload them, considering there won’t be any more major jewelry-gifting holidays until the holidays,” she said. McGrath advised shoppers to look at Kay’s, Macy’s and Kohl’s for these deals.
Historically, May has also been a good time to find deals and home and garden items, and McGrath says that trend will continue this year. McGrath said to keep an eye out for deals on home goods and outdoor furnishing needs from retailers like Wayfair and Overstock. These deals will be on a large swath of products, such as patio furniture, grills, fire pits and other summer needs. Additionally, McGrath said to look out for Memorial Day deals on big appliances — like refrigerators — and mattresses, as well as from baby retailers.Shoppers can expect to find deals on baby clothes, car seats, monitors, strollers and more.
What to skip in May
Historically, experts have told us to hold off on buying tech items like tablets or laptops in May, and that advice still holds true for May 2022. McGrath advised shoppers to wait specifically until Amazon Prime Day to snag the best deals.
“Many products will be featured at some of the most competitive prices of the year, often rivaling Black Friday-level deals,” McGrath said. “Another plus is that other retailers will also offer sales to compete with Prime Day, so shoppers have the added benefit of price comparison on specific products to get the absolute best deal available.”
Memorial Day sales coming this month
While the sales aren’t live yet, you can plan your shopping this month around these anticipated sales. Below, we chose the sales we think you’ll find interesting — they typically include multiple deals, though, not every product in a sale is going to be the best deal around.
- Ban.do: 30% off sale items plus an extra 10% off last chance items starting May 26
- Korres: 25% off sitewide starting May 27
- Jack Wolfskin: 25% off sitewide May 26-30
- Ink + Alloy: 20% off earrings with code MEMORIAL starting May 26
- Sips By: 20% off all full-sized tea with code 20LM82 starting May 27
- Lulu and Georgia: 20% off sitewide starting May 24
- Artifact Uprising: 15% off sitewide starting May 23
- Ostrichpillow: 15% off Go Neck Pillows starting May 28
- Papier: 15% off stationary starting May 27