Presidents Day weekend is here, and now is a great opportunity for those in the market for big-ticket items like large household appliances and flatscreen TVs to get worthwhile savings. Mattresses are also a major shopping category that consumers most associate with the holiday. “If you’re in the market for a new bed, it’s a great time to buy,” said Julie Ramhold, DealNews consumer analyst, noting that retailers are offering deep discounts because they need to move their inventory. “It’s really the last hurrah before the new models are released in mid- to late spring."
To help you snag great discounts this Presidents Day, we’ve gathered some of the best mattress deals we could find from top-rated brands, as well as some sales from notable, expert-recommended brands we think are worth knowing about.
Best Presidents Day mattress deals
Below, we compiled some worthwhile mattress deals to take advantage of this Presidents Day. We used price trackers like Honey and CamelCamelCamel to ensure that the items we listed are at their lowest price in three months. The ones in our roundup are all Queen-sized mattresses for comparison sake, but they come in all sizes, from Twin to King.
- 4.6-star average rating from 5,976 reviews at Helix
Helix — a brand we featured in our firm and soft mattress guides — says that this medium firm mattress is ideal for side sleepers. According to the brand, the mattress is 12 inches thick, has three foam layers and a layer of coils, and it’s all wrapped in a cover that the company says promotes airflow. For their Presidents Day sale, the company is offering up to 25% off sitewide if you enter your email, along with two free Dream pillows and free shipping with mattress purchase.
- 4.5-star average rating from 3,755 reviews at Tuft & Needle
This 8-inch mattress from Tuft & Needle (sold exclusively on Amazon) uses the company’s proprietary adaptive foam, which the brand says wicks moisture and heat and is resistant to deep-body imprints. The company is also offering a 100-night free trial and a 10-year warranty.
- 4.5-star average rating from 4,964 reviews on Amazon
This Amazon Choice mattress by Select-favorite brand Casper includes a layer of perforated foam for extra airflow, says the brand. It also has an eco-friendly cover made from recycled materials that zips off so you can clean it. Comes with a 100-night free trial.
- 4.4-star average rating from 108 reviews at Target
Serta is well known for its large selection of mattresses. This Target-exclusive 10-inch-thick Serta Perfect Sleeper mattress has a medium-firm feel, according to the company, and is made with three layers, two of which have gel for cooling.
- 4.7-star average rating from 8,452 reviews at Sealy
This 12-inch hybrid mattress keeps you cool as you sleep, says the brand, adding that its coils are encased in fabric for added comfort and support that’s heightened by its steel-reinforced edge. Sealy also offers free delivery, a 100-night trial and a 10-year warranty.
- 4.6-star average rating from 566 reviews at Overstock
This Queen bed-in-a-box is designed with a 2-inch gel memory foam top layer, 4-inch comfort foam layer and an 8-inch base foam layer. The design of this memory foam mattress keeps you cool as you sleep while conforming to the shape of your body, says the brand.
- 4.4-star average rating from 31,461 reviews at Purple
This mattress from Purple has a dual-layer foam base that provides cushioned support and is topped with two inches of the brand's cooling GelFlex Grid, which can help promote airflow while you sleep, Purple says. The mattress comes in seven sizes, ranging from Twin to Split King.
Best Presidents Day 2023 mattress sales
Below is a list of Presidents Day mattress sales from notable brands. These sales can include multiple deals, though not every product will be the best deal around.
- Wayfair: Up to 60% off mattresses, bedding and more
- Bear: 35% off sitewide plus $325 worth of free sleep accessories with mattress purchase
- Brooklyn Bedding: 30% off sitewide through Feb. 20
- Helix: 25% off sitewide plus two free Dream Pillows and free shipping with code PDS25
- Overstock: Up to 25% off select mattresses
- Allswell: 20% off all mattresses and free shipping with code SWEETDEAL
- Boll & Branch: Extra 20% off bedding and bath bundles using code BUNDLE20
- Casper: Up to 20% off all mattresses and 10% off other items through Feb. 28
- Tuft & Needle: Up to $625 off on mattresses and up to 30% off bedding
- Avocado Mattress: 10% off sitewide, with up to $880 off mattresses. They also offer up to a 1-year free trial on all their mattresses
- Serta: Up to $1000 off select mattress and adjustable base sets through Feb. 27
- Leesa: Up to $700 off select mattresses, plus a free set of its Hybrid Pillows, valued at up to $278
- Tempur-Pedic: Up to $500 off on adjustable mattress sets, plus a $300 gift if you buy
- Amerisleep: $450 off any mattress, along with free shipping
- Purple: Up to $400 off all mattresses, up to $500 off its Ascent Adjustable Base and 10% off all bedding accessories
- Winkbed: $300 off all mattresses
- Layla Sleep: Up to $200 off all mattresses, plus two free Layla Memory Foam Pillows through Feb. 21
How to shop Presidents Day 2023 mattress sales
Ramhold told us that this year’s Presidents Day sales are “a win-win for consumers” because they seem to be more robust than in the past, surmising that retailers may be offering extra discounts to offset inflation. "And the good thing about mattresses is that they really don’t change much, so it’s not worth waiting on the new models unless there’s something earth-shattering coming out,” she said.
However, Ramhold said that some retailers won't be offering discounts for much longer after Presidents Day is over, and advised against waiting it out to find a better deal. “If they aren’t advertising an end date, I would say 11:59 Monday night is the latest you want to risk,” she told us.
To make the most out of Presidents Day mattress sales, Ramhold provided a few additional tips to help ensure you're getting the best deal:
- Try before you buy. Mattresses have evolved over the years from the traditional innerspring. Ramhold suggested going to a store to try out different mattress types, whether hybrid or constructed with latex or foam, before you buy. “Go to a chain like Mattress Firm and test them out,” she said. “It’s a good way to find the firmness level you like. You want to make sure you get enough support so you don’t wake up feeling like you slept on a slab of concrete.”
- Do your research. The sales are all over the place, said Ramhold, noting that some offer a percentage off, while others offer a dollar amount. Some are even offering free pillows and other bedding accessories. “You need to poke around.”
- Read the reviews. Ramhold said a good starting place is to start looking at the top-rated brands, such as Leesa, Sealy, Serta, Casper and Tuft & Needle, and read the reviews. “If you can’t be bothered to read all of them, read the best and the worst and see if there’s a common thread.”
The 5 types of mattresses
Mattresses today have come a long way since the traditional innerspring mattress was introduced by Heinrich Westphal in 1871. Today mattresses have cooling systems, pillow tops, foam layers and more. Below are some of the most well-known types.
- Innerspring: An innerspring mattress has a metal coil support system, which gives it its springiness. The designs of the coils vary between brands, but innerspring mattresses in general are pretty firm.
- Memory foam: Memory foam is composed of a high-density material that is temperature sensitive, so it molds to your body in response to heat and pressure. As your temperature increases, the foam becomes softer.
- Latex: Like memory foam, latex mattresses contour to your body but are not as deeply body-hugging. Latex mattresses are made from rubber tree sap and are hypoallergenic.
- Hybrid: A hybrid is a combination of both innerspring and foam, so the foam provides extra comfort, while the coils offer better airflow. Because the foam is reinforced with coils, it’s easier to change sleeping positions than on an all-foam mattress.
- Adjustable firmness: Adjustable firmness mattresses can inflate or deflate to the firmness level you prefer and can be done so via an app or remote. Some beds also allow you to adjust each side separately.
Meet our expert
At Select, we work with experts who have specialized knowledge and authority based on relevant training and/or experience. We also take steps to ensure that all expert advice and recommendations are made independently and with no undisclosed financial conflicts of interest.
- Julie Ramhold is a senior staff writer and consumer analyst for DealNews.com, a comparison-shopping website that tracks deals on consumer electronics, apparel and more.