At least 50 of the schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram have been reunited with their families, but more than 200 are still in the hands of the Islamic militant group, the Nigerian government said Friday. The girls were abducted from a secondary school in the village of Chibok on April 14, and more than 2 months later, Brigadier General Ibrahim Sabo, the chairman of the government's fact-finding committee on the kidnapping, said 219 of the female students were still unaccounted for.
Sign up for breaking news alerts from NBC News
Let our news meet your inbox. The news and stories that matters, delivered weekday mornings.
Last month, the Nigerian Military claimed to know where the girls are, but said they wouldn't use force against Boko Haram to retrieve them. Villages in Nigeria, meanwhile, have seen a horrific wave of attacks by the five-year-old insurgency.
Nigeria Officials at Odds in Rescue of Missing Schoolgirls: Report
Bloody Toll: Boko Haram Behind Deadliest Killing Spree Since 9/11
Congress Demands Action On Boko Haram (The Daily Beast)
Reuters contributed to this report.