Image: Students at Omaha school
Nati Harnik  /  AP
Students hug at Millard South high school in Omaha, Neb., early Friday before classes resumed.
updated 1/7/2011 11:44:24 AM ET 2011-01-07T16:44:24

Students and staffers returned to a high school Friday where two days earlier a 17-year-old student fatally shot an assistant principal and wounded the principal before fleeing the campus and killing himself.

About 100 students gathered outside the entrance of the Millard South High School for more than 30 minutes in frigid temperatures to welcome back their classmates. A handful of candles flickered in jars at an ad-hoc memorial honoring assistant principal Vicki Kaspar and principal Curtis Case on the school grounds.

    1. Hoffman withdrew $1,200 hours before death: sources

      Philip Seymour Hoffman withdrew a total of $1,200 from an ATM at a supermarket near his New York City apartment the night before he was found lifeless in his bathroom with a syringe still in his left arm, sources told NBC News.

    2. NYC mayor will skip St. Pat's parade over gay ban
    3. Indiana man back home 18 years after abduction
    4. 32 states in the path of another wild storm
    5. Judge vows quick ruling on Va. marriage ban

Some students stopped to look at the posters, flowers and other mementos, while others scurried by, eager to return to class. One freshman took a few minutes to look at the memorial before heading into the school building.

"I think it's going to be a good thing, but it might be a little weird," Dustin Smith, 14, said of his return to class.

Story: Teen school shooter showed no signs of turning violent

Omaha police say Robert Butler Jr. returned to class a few hours after he was suspended Wednesday for driving on Millard South's football field and track. Butler, whose father is an Omaha police detective, gave no hint of his violent intentions before posting an ominous message on Facebook and returning to school with his father's handgun.

Many students seemed to be OK about returning to school Friday, but the district planned to offer counseling to anyone who needs it.

"I don't think I'll be worried, but it'll feel weird because someone got killed there," 17-year-old German Agraz said about re-entering the building.

PhotoBlog: Back to school with hugs, security

Outside the school Friday, a tearful staff member who declined to give her name said Friday was going to be the hardest day.

Jamie Ryals, 17, said she wasn't sure she was quite ready to be back at school.

"I think it's a little too soon," Ryals said.

About 93 percent of Millard South's students attended class Friday, district spokeswoman Marti Seiberling said. Friday's attendance rate was close to last semester's average of 94.8 percent.

Case, 44, is improving at an Omaha hospital and has been able to speak with family members. He was listed in fair condition on Friday.

Associated Press Writers Michael Crumb and Ryan J. Foley contributed to this report.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Discussion comments


Most active discussions

  1. votes comments
  2. votes comments
  3. votes comments
  4. votes comments