At least 82 Palestinians, most of them civilians, have been killed in Israel's Gaza offensive, Palestinian officials said on Thursday as militants in the enclave kept up rocket attacks on Tel Aviv, Jerusalem and other cities. As Israeli officials seemed to hint at a possible invasion by ground forces, eight members of one family, including five children, were killed in an early morning air strike that levelled two homes at Khan Younis in the south of the Gaza Strip near the Egyptian border, the Palestinian Health ministry said. Israel's military made no comment on what would be the deadliest strike since it began its assault on Tuesday. The defense minister spoke of "long days of fighting ahead."
The offensive followed a build-up in violence after three Jewish students were killed in the occupied West Bank last month and a Palestinian youth died in a suspected revenge attack. Medical officials in Hamas-dominated Gaza said at least 60 civilians, including a four-year-old girl and a boy aged five who were killed on Thursday, were among the 82 Palestinians who have died in Israeli attacks since Tuesday.
U.S. President Barack Obama told Netanyahu by telephone on Thursday that the United States was willing to help negotiate a ceasefire, the White House said. Earlier, Netanyahu said in a televised statement: "So far the battle is progressing as planned but we can expect further stages in future."
- Born Into Battle: Israeli Preemies Arrive as Bombs Fall
- Hamas Firing China-Designed, Syria-Made M-302 Rockets: Israel