IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

17-year-old is on life support after being shot by San Antonio officer in McDonald's parking lot

The attorney for Erik Cantu said any reports that he is stable or is “going to be fine” are not true. “Every breath is a struggle for Erik,” he said.

Erik Cantu, the 17-year-old boy who was shot multiple times by a San Antonio police officer as he ate a burger in a McDonald’s parking lot last week, is on life support, his attorney said in a statement Tuesday.

“At this time, there is no improvement in his condition. He is still unconscious and is on life support,” said the attorney, Brian Powers. “The last two days have been difficult and we expect more difficulty ahead, but we remain hopeful.”

Any reports that Cantu is stable or is "going to be fine" are not true, he added.

"Every breath is a struggle for Erik," the statement said. "We ask for everyone’s continued prayers for our son.”

An officer opens the driver’s door and orders Erik Cantu out of the vehicle in San Antonio, Texas, on Oct. 2, 2022.
An officer opens the driver’s door and orders Erik Cantu out of the vehicle in San Antonio on Oct. 2.San Antonio Police Dept.

San Antonio Police Officer James Brennand shot Cantu on the night of Oct. 2 as he was responding to the McDonald's on Blanco Road for an unrelated disturbance call, police said.

“As the officer attempted to gather information from witnesses, he noticed a vehicle that had evaded him the day before as the officer attempted a stop because the registered license plate did not match the actual vehicle,” Capt. Alyssa Campos, the department’s training commander, said in a video statement.

The car, driven by Cantu, was not the subject of the disturbance call, Campos said.

Brennand, who was still in his probationary period, was fired after the shooting.

“The former Officer’s actions are indefensible and do not align with our training, tactics and procedures,” Chief William McManus said. “As such, I terminated him. I will withhold further comment as this incident is still under investigation.”