Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.
 / Updated 
By Phil Helsel

Investigators have ruled out a refrigerator as a cause of a deadly fire at a converted warehouse in Oakland, California last week that left 36 people dead, a federal investigation official said Friday.

There has been no evidence of arson in the Dec. 2 fire at a warehouse that had been converted into artists’ work and living spaces and an event area known as the "Ghost Ship," Jill Snyder, special agent in charge of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives San Francisco Field Division said.

"Everything that’s electrical in the scene, they’re still looking at," Snyder said.

Officials had previously said the refrigerator was one of several potential sources of the blaze being investigated.

Related: Building Inspector Hasn't Been in Oakland Warehouse for 30 Years

The warehouse did not have permits for residences or events. The fire broke out late Dec. 2 as a party was held on the second floor. Fire officials and former residents have described the first floor of the building as a "labyrinth" and a firetrap.

It’s unclear when the building was last inspected for fire safety violations. City officials have said they were still gathering reports from the fire and police departments.

NBC Bay Area has reported that there is no record of a fire inspection at the building since a database was created in 2006. Fire Chief Teresa Deloach Reed told CNN the building it was possible the building "had fallen out of the system" and had been empty for years.

Officials have said the fire started on the ground floor, and was roaring before partygoers on the second floor realized they were in danger. Smoke from two staircases — neither of which led to an exit — trapped those on the second floor, who were overcome before they could get out, the ATF has said.

The city on Friday released a full list of the 36 victims of the fire. Photographer Bob Lapine, who lost his son Edmond Lapine, 34, flew in from Utah to collect the remains and take pictures of the warehouse Friday.

"There's a lot of things that I wish I had said to him but I'll never be able to, and that's what's sad," hetold NBC Bay Area. "It's just tough."