The investigation into the three-year-old murder of Holly Bobo may have hit a snag amid an ugly public spat between the district attorney and the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, and on Wednesday the law enforcement agency said it was suspending its probe into her death.
The TBI blamed District Attorney General Matthew Stone for these "unprecedented circumstances" and said the prosecutor accused the bureau of misconduct. As a result, the TBI said it was suspending its investigation into the death of the 20-year-old nursing student, who disappeared from her western Tennessee home on April 13, 2011, and whose body was found Sept. 7.
"Stowe made allegations of misconduct by TBI and other law enforcement agencies, both local and federal. He also repeatedly stated he wanted our Agency to suspend all activities in his district," TBI director Mark Gwyn said in a statement Wednesday. He added that the agency "has discontinued its investigation into the Holly Bobo case" until further notice.
Stowe told NBC affiliate WSMV in Nashville that the matter was a misunderstanding, but admitted to being involved in a heated argument with Gwyn at the private meeting with law enforcement officials last week. The argument was over the Bobo case but neither side said exactly what the fight was about, and it is unclear how the dispute might affect the prosecution of the case.
Zachary Rye Adams and Jason Wayne Autry are charged with kidnapping and murder in the case. Adams' brother, John Dylan Adams has been charged with rape. All three have pleaded not guilty. Earlier Wednesday, a judge expressed frustration over how slowly the case has moved since Zachary Rye Adams first pleaded not guilty in March.
- Change of Venue Expected for Holly Bobo Case
- Holly Bobo's Family Says Her Killers 'Have Lost Their Souls'
- Remains of Missing Nursing Student Holly Bob Found, Officials Say