Breaking News Emails
You won't meet a more charming photobomber than this startled porcupine fish.
One evening in November, photographer Andrey Nekrasov was on a dive looking for nocturnal wildlife, near Sharm al-Sheik in the Red Sea, off the coast of Egypt.
The group was at a depth of about 26 feet (8 meters) when this startled specimen — a porcupine fish — joined the party.
"He accidentally hit me in the flashlight beam," Nekrasov wrote to NBC News in an email. "But he did not see me."
Neksarov sneaked a photo of the fish before it inflated, then took a few of the puffed-up photobomber before swimming away.
Robert Robins, a senior biologist at the Division of Ichthyology at the Florida Museum of Natural History, identified the fish as a member of the "diodontid" family, and a relative of the family known as pufferfish.
When startled, both puffers and porcupine fish swell up by swallowing water into a stomach pouch — but "they can perform the same trick out of water using air!" Robins told NBC News in an email.
Some species carry a toxin in their organs, which is lethal if the fish is eaten without being cleaned.