Select is editorially independent. Our editors selected these deals and items because we think you will enjoy them at these prices. If you purchase something through our links, we may earn a commission. Pricing and availability are accurate as of publish time.
October is coming up fast but there are still plenty of sales and deals for you to take advantage of in September. Now that kids have returned to school, be that online or in-person, we’re seeing lingering back-to-school sales from retailers like Target, Kohl’s and Walmart. And as we enjoy the end of summer, stores offer slashed items, including clothing and outdoor furniture. Finally, while we continue to work from home, retailers like Dell, Costco and Lenovo are giving you discounted work-from-home essentials, including tablets, laptops and more.
Best things to buy in September, and what can wait
To better understand how to make the most of shopping in September, we consulted Julie Ramhold, a consumer analyst from DealNews.com. While Ramhold said the most notable sales and deals on mattresses and large appliances likely occurred during Labor Day, you can still save on end of summer discounts. One of the top things to look out for is clothing. Retailers such as Lululemon and Macy’s are offering large discounts on athleisure and summer fashion. Additionally, stores like Wayfair and Home Depot are offering deals on patio furniture.
And while we will most likely see the largest savings on TVs and other tech during Black Friday, this year, stores offer work from home essentials at discounted prices. Likewise, as kids returned to school and many parents have received solidified back-to-school shopping lists, retailers like Office Depot and Staples offer sales on printer paper, sticky notes and pens.
Ramhold noted that while September would usually include sales on travel and Broadway tickets, those have been postponed or will not be offered due to the coronavirus. She also suggested waiting until October if you want the most savings on Halloween decorations, costumes and candy. Finally, although we expected to see lower prices on older iPhones, we will most likely see discounted prices on older models once the iPhone 12 line is launched.
What stores are having big sales right now
- Abercrombie & Fitch is offering 40 to 60 percent off select styles and an extra 15 percent off select items.
- AeroGarden is offering 20 percent off sitewide, including gardens, seed pod kits and accessories with code GREEN20.
- Aeropostale is giving you 50 to 70 percent off new arrivals. You’ll also find up to 15 percent off uniform styles when you buy five or more items.
- Amazon is offering sales on Apple AirPods Pro 2, Apple AirPods with wireless charging case, tower fans and more.
- Belk is giving you daily deals like 60 percent off Belk exclusives plus an additional 10 percent off with a Belk rewards credit card and coupon.
- CHI Haircare & Tools is providing 25 percent off your purchase with code SALE25.
- Costco is providing $150 off Apple MacBook Pros.
- Keds has reduced prices on select styles of sneakers to $29.95.
- Kohl’s is offering 15 percent off your order with code SHOPNOW.
- Lenovo is giving you up to 70 percent off select PCs, desktops, laptops and more during their Doorbuster sale.
- Lord and Taylor is offering 30 to 50 percent off sitewide.
- Lowe's is offering up to 40 percent off select bath essentials.
- Macy’s is providing an additional 40 percent off clearance, as well as 20 percent off Michael Kors through Oct. 12.
- Nordstrom is giving you up to 60 percent off clearance items.
- Nordstrom Rack is offering up to 80 percent off last chance items.
- Ulta is providing discounts on select products including the Brow Starter Kit by Anastasia Beverly Hills and the Limited Edition Moisture Surge Hydrator by Clinique.
- Wayfair is holding its Way Day sale with up to 80 percent off items sitewide on Sept. 23 and 24.
- Williams-Sonoma is offering up to 75 percent off clearance items, including cookware and cutlery.
- Woot! an Amazon company is offering refurbished items, including video games and consoles, at discounted prices.
Best deals to shop right now
These highly-rated sneakers feature a minimal design and come in subtle grey suede for a relaxed yet clean look. They include a 1.5-inch white platform to give you some height and offer a sporty feel. They slip-on for convenience and have a removable insole for comfort.
This chargers bundle includes the PowerWave wireless charging pad that is compatible with select Samsung Galaxy phones, including the S10 and Note 10, as well as Apple iPhones, including the XS and 8. For convenience, you'll also receive the PowerWave stand that can be used horizontally or vertically depending on your preference. The bundle also features overvoltage protection, temperature control and more. Plus, it comes with an 18-month warranty.
You can wear this Milly crochet dress during the day or for a night out. It is made of polyester and offers a colorful floral design that is great for enjoying the remainder of summer. It also features a scoop neckline and cap sleeves for a sophisticated look. Plus, the dress includes a keyhole back, hem at the knee and banded waist to accentuate the body.
The Belham Living Wicker outdoor set includes an ottoman and two loveseats. For comfort, the loveseats each sport two beige olefin cushions. It features a dark brown finish for a modern design and is equipped with a water-resistant resin wicker frame, which is helpful if you accidentally spill your rum cocktail or protein smoothie on your furniture.
The Dell Ultrasharp U2415 was previously ranked as the best all-around computer monitor for everyday needs and is the option our technology writer Whitson Gordon recommends to most people. With a thin 6.9-millimeter bezel, it’s great for viewing between monitors. It also features an adjustable stand so that you can tilt and move the screen to match your posture throughout the day. The IPS panel enables you to view images in vibrant colors and from multiple angles.
If you’re in the market for a new Wi-Fi router, consider the Asus RT-AC68U. It has a faster CPU and is a great option if you want to actively manage your network. It includes guest networking, parent controls and Trend Micro’s built-in AiProtection to protect you from malware. Additionally, it’s equipped with the AiMesh feature that allows you to create a mesh network with other compatible Asus devices.
The Fire TV Stick is the company's most affordable Fire TV device and Amazon's No. 1 bestseller in electronics. It features Alexa Voice Remote, for convenience, and is equipped with Bluetooth compatibility so you can listen to shows and movies from your headphones. If you're looking for an upgrade, consider the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K.
The Beats Solo Pro are wireless and feature 40 hours of battery life for you to use while on the go. They include active noise cancelling technology, which works to block out your surroundings, as well as a transparency mode, for when you want to listen to the world around you. Plus, they are ergonomically designed for comfort and come in a variety of colors, including Light Blue, Black and Red.
This tablet by Samsung is lightweight and great to take on the go. At 10.5-inches long, and with a 16-to-10 ratio, it offers a large screen for you to watch movies or snap on a keyboard and get some work done. You can also connect your tablet to your home devices to easily control your TV or adjust the lights or thermostat for convenience.
This LG 4K Smart TV features a quad-core processor for better images, action and color. You can easily stream your favorite content from Apple TV, Netflix or Hulu and scroll through over 180 IP streaming channels. It also includes active HDR to deliver more authentic and lifelike images. For convenience, you can pair your TV with Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa.
The PowerCore Slim 10,000 is one of Anker's slimmest power banks and packs a lot of power. It can supply over two charges on select phones, including the iPhone XS and Google Pixel, and only requires 4.5 hours to recharge itself when using a USB-C wall charger. Additionally, it boasts dual USB ports so you can charge two devices at once. Plus, it features a sleek design and comes in a range of colors including Deep-Sea Indigo and Fossil Gray.
This mini Bluetooth speaker by Tribit features a sleek design and comes with eight hours of use when charged. It's got wireless stereo technology, which allows you to pair to a second Micro device for an enhanced experience, and has a 100-foot range. Plus, it's water-resistant and comes with a flexible strap to conveniently attach to your bag or bike while on the go.
More shopping guides and recommendations
- Expert Shopping: Facial cleansing brushes
- Hand sanitizers that meet CDC requirements
- Top-rated air purifiers that ship fast
- Best vacuums according to cleaning experts