With their noteworthy deals, big savings events like Amazon Prime Day can be tough for even the most seasoned shopper to resist. As products arrive, you may find that they don’t fit, aren’t as described or just weren't worth buying. The same goes for sales at retailers like Target, Walmart, Best Buy and more.
With this in mind, we compiled information about retailers’ return policies below, focusing on those that recently hosted savings events. Keep in mind that while these policies apply to most items, there are exceptions. We recommend visiting retailers’ websites to learn about specific exceptions before you begin a return so you can learn if you’re eligible for a full refund, partial refund or store credit, like a gift card or discount code.
What is Amazon's return policy?
According to Amazon, most items shipped and fulfilled by Amazon.com, including Amazon Warehouse, can be refunded within 30 days of delivery. This applies to all purchases — there’s no separate return policy for items you bought during Prime Day. Keep in mind, however, that some items can’t be returned, like grocery items, downloadable software products, certain jewelry and more.
During Prime Day, many third-party sellers — those who fulfill and ship their own inventory — discount their products. If third-party sellers' products are eligible for Amazon Prime, it falls under Amazon’s standard return policy. If not, most third-party sellers offer a return policy that’s equivalent to Amazon’s — but not always. To learn about a specific third-party sellers’ return policy, be sure to view the "returns and refunds policy" section of the seller’s profile page.
What is Target's return policy?
The return period for items sold on Target.com begins once the order has been invoiced, which the retailer says happens when any part of an order ships, is delivered by Shipt or is ready for pickup. Most unopened items in new condition can be returned within 90 days and are eligible for a refund or exchange, according to the retailer. This timeline is extended for Target RedCard debit and credit card holders: They receive an extra 30 days to return nearly all items purchased with their RedCard at Target stores and online. Some items have different return policies, however — information can be found on the product page, receipt or packing slip.
Similar return policies apply to products sold by a Target Plus Partner, meaning a third-party company that sells and ships items through Target. You can learn more about items that cannot be returned and specific return exceptions online, like how to return large items delivered with EFW, a shipping carrier Target uses to deliver pieces like furniture. It’s also important to note that electronics and entertainment items like smart home products, TVs, speakers and more must be returned or exchanged within 30 days, and Apple products (excluding phones) have an even shorter return or exchange window — only 15 days. Items from Target Owned Brands have the longest return period — so long as you have the receipt, you can return these products within one year for an exchange or refund.
What is Walmart's return policy?
Products sold and shipped by Walmart can be returned or replaced within 90 days of receiving a receipt. There are return exceptions to be aware of, though — wireless phones must be returned within 14 days, for example, and many electronics must be returned within 30 days. You can read more about return expectations online.
If you buy an item from a Walmart Marketplace seller — meaning third-party retailers and brands who sell their products through the retailer — there are different return policies. Sellers must comply with minimum return standards set by Walmart, however, like a 14-day return window for electronics and luxury items and a 30-day return window for other items.
What is Best Buy's return policy?
At Best Buy, return periods — which begin the day you receive your order — differ depending on whether you’re a My Best Buy Total member. Regardless, items need to be in like-new condition when returned, and some have a restocking fee, like activatable devices, electric bikes, drones, DSLR camera and more. You can learn more about return exceptions and non-returnable items online.
- Non-members have 15 days to return most products and 14 days to return most activatable devices, which the retailer says includes cell phones, cellular tablets, mobile hotspots and more (note that Verizon activatable devices have a 30-day return period for all shoppers).
- My Best Buy Total members have 60 days to return most products, though they also only have 14 days to return activatable devices.
Return policies at other retailers
- The Home Depot: Accepts most new, unopened merchandise within 90 days of purchase, with exceptions for furniture, area rugs, gas-powered equipment, most generators and consumer electronics (30-day return window).
- Lowe’s: Accepts most returns within 90 days of purchase date with exceptions for TVS and electronics, outdoor power equipment and more (30-day return window).
- Kohl’s: Accepts most returns up to 180 days after the original purchase date, with exceptions for electronics (30-day return window), beauty items (60-day return window) and more.
- Macy’s: Accepts most returns within 30 days of purchase with exceptions for Apple products (14-day return window) and more.
- Wayfair: Accepts most returns within 30 days of delivery so long as they're in their original, undamaged condition and disassembled if delivered that way. There are exceptions for mattresses (100-night free trial) and large appliances (30-day return window so long as they have not been installed).