Breaking News Emails
Welcome to The Lid, your afternoon dose of the 2016 ethos…On his final day on the campaign trail Monday, Donald Trump told supporters: “It’s been some campaign.” Which means, less than 24 hours before polls open, we’ve officially seen it all -- Trump actually understated something.
Get The Lid straight to your inbox each afternoon -- click here to sign up.
‘16 from 30,000:
Guys, the 2016 election is almost over!! And if you’re one of those people who feels like this whole experience made you want to shower and delete all your social media accounts -- you ain’t alone. In fact, nearly six-in-ten Americans say that they feel LESS proud of their country as a result of the 2016 contest, according to our latest NBC/WSJ poll. (And yes, that’s as bad as it sounds; in 2008, only 12 percent said the election made them feel less proud, while more than a third said the opposite.) The same share of Americans -- about six in ten - now say that the election has made the nation more divided; that the country is headed in the wrong direction; and that they are unsatisfied with their choices in the presidential election. And, of course, add in the historic unpopularity of both major party nominees and you get a recipe for a pretty grim-looking welcome for the next president.
POPPING ON NBC POLITICS
- Clinton and Trump hit the trail for a frantic final day of campaigning on Monday, one of us writes.
- Gingrich, Giuliani, and Priebus are being eyed for top spots in a potential Trump administration, NBC’s Katy Tur and Benjy Sarlin report.
- From NBC’s Benjy Sarlin: At this point, we know a lot about how Donald J. Trump campaigns. But we know much less about how he would govern.
- From NBC’s Alex Seitz-Wald: What could Clinton actually get done as president?
- Trumpisms abound on the GOP nominee’s last day of campaigning, our NBC Trump embed Ali Vitali writes.
- As Election Day looms, Hillary Clinton's 6-point lead over Donald Trump remains unchanged from last week according to the final NBC News|SurveyMonkeyWeekly Election Tracking Poll.
- And from the newest episode of Trail Tapes: There are enough felons in Florida to swing the election -- if they could vote.
- And from First Read: NBC's final battleground map: Clinton 274, Trump 170.
FOR THE RECORD…
“Comey was spotted grabbing dinner and a “giant” margarita at El Tio Tex Mex Grill in McLean, Va., on Sunday evening.”
- The Washington Post’s “Reliable Source” column on Monday
It’s (finally) Election Day. Both candidates will hold victory parties in New York CIty.