Subscribe to Breaking News emails

You have successfully subscribed to the Breaking News email.

Subscribe today to be the first to to know about breaking news and special reports.

Mudslide Death Toll Rises to 28

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.

The number of victims of last month's Washington mudslide rose again Tuesday afternoon, bringing the total of confirmed deaths to 28, with 22 of them having been identified.

Three more bodies were confirmed Tuesday morning to be those of victims of the March 22 mudslide near Oso, northeast of Washington.

And the Snohomish County Medical Examiner's Office announced Tuesday afternoon that a another official death had been confirmed and that three more of the victims had been positively identified:

  • Adam Farnes, 23.
  • Lon E. Slauson, 66, of Arlington, Wash.
  • Thom E. Satterlee, 65, also of Arlington.

They — like all of the 19 previously identified victims — were found to have died accidental deaths from multiple blunt force injuries, the medical examiner's office said.

The number of people missing or unaccounted for has dropped from 22 to 20, authorities said Tuesday night.

— M. Alex Johnson

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.
MORE FROM news