Israel’s government approved extending its cease-fire through Sunday, even as militants fired more rockets into the country from Gaza.
The Israeli cease-fire will extend until midnight Sunday (5 p.m. ET). Earlier on Saturday, Israel had proposed extending a humanitarian cease-fire for four hours as the end of a 12-hour agreed-upon cease to fighting was set to expire at 8 p.m. local time (1 p.m. ET), but Hamas rejected it and Gaza militants said they fired several dozen rockets at Israel. There are no reports of injuries in those attacks.
An Israeli government official said the despite the cease-fire, troops would respond to any fire from Gaza, and that troops would continue to destroy tunnels used by militants. The military did not announce any strikes in response to Saturday’s rocket fire. The health ministry in Gaza said 1,047 Palestinians, mostly civilians, have been killed in the fighting that erupted on July 8. Israel has lost 42 soldiers, including two soldiers who died from their wounds Saturday after being injured in fighting earlier this week. Three Israeli civilians have also been killed by rocket fire.
Israel Extends Temporary Cease-Fire for 24 HoursJuly 26, 201403:17
- Hamas Fires More Rockets at Israel After Rejecting Cease-Fire
- Deaths Top 1,000 as Gazans Return to Devastated Homes
- Palestinians Search Rubble During 12-Hour Truce in Gaza