Breaking News Emails
BEIJING -- More than 100 relatives of passengers aboard missing Flight MH370 staged a sit-in protest outside the Malaysian Embassy in Beijing late Thursday amid claims that they had been snubbed.
The family members allege that Malaysian officials went back on promises to meet with them.
"We will keep waiting here," said Steve Wang, who is a spokesman for the families. "[Prime Minister] Najib had said that his government has established good communications and relations with the families. So we are here to demonstrate to the world what his so-called 'good communication and good relations' look like through the media. They have again deceived [the world]."
Police were forced to stop traffic during the protest as the crowd waved placards saying things like: "Never give up, we waiting right here!"
Wang said the government promised the families that representatives from the embassy and Malaysia Airlines would attend briefings but no one had showed up. He also alleged that "the government just avoids their duties."
Some of the family members have threatened to go on hunger strike until their demands are met.
Mystery still surrounds the missing Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 some 47 days after it disappeared while en route from Kulala Lumpur to the Chinese capital. It was carrying 239 passengers and crew, most of whom were Chinese nationals.
Alexander Smith of NBC News and Reuters contributed to this report.