Breaking News Emails
At least 43 people have been shot, five of them fatally, in a spate of violence across Chicago since Friday.
The latest homicide took place around 12:25 a.m. Sunday in the 3500 block of West Fullerton Avenue in the Logan Square neighborhood.
A 21-year-old woman was in the back seat of a vehicle driving eastbound on Fullerton when a group of men standing on the sidewalk shouted gang slogans and opened fire on the car.
The woman was transported to Norwegian American Hospital with wounds to the left side of her head and was later pronounced dead, according to authorities.
On Saturday, a 17-year-old boy was fatally shot when a man dressed in all black approached him in the 5500 block of West North Avenue and fired at him from behind. The teen was pronounced dead at the scene.
Less than an hour earlier, a 22-year-old man was fatally shot in the chest in the 5400 block of South Winchester Avenue in the Back of the Yards neighborhood.
Police said the man was pronounced dead at the scene and a 19-year-old woman who was shot in the leg was taken in stable condition to Mount Sinai Hospital.
The two were shot when someone fired into a home from outside, striking them both.
Police are conducting a homicide investigation.
Officers reported hearing shots fired around 10:30 p.m. and the woman, identified as Leonore Draper, was found in her car with wounds to her arm and chest. She was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center where she was later pronounced dead.
Earlier Friday, an off-duty police officer shot his neighbors, one of them fatally, after one neighbor shot and injured the officer’s wife in an argument that stemmed from a long-running feud between the two couples.
Eight people were injured in overnight shootings Sunday.
- A 23-year-old woman shot around 6 a.m. in the 4700 block of South Loomis Boulevard. Police did not have any further details about how the woman was shot, but said she suffered two wounds to the thigh and was in stable condition at Mercy Hospital and Medical Center.
- Around 3:20 a.m. a 21-year-old man was shot while standing on a sidewalk in the 4700 block of North Drake Avenue in the Albany Park neighborhood. Police said a silver sedan drove by and fired shots at the man, who was transported to Swedish Covenant Hospital by someone with a wound to his left shin.
- Less than two hours earlier, two 21-year-old men were shot in the 2500 block of West Division Street. The two were on a sidewalk when a large group of men approached on foot and someone in the group fired at the them, police said. One victim was shot in the left shoulder and taken to John H. Stroger Jr., Hospital of Cook County in stable condition. The other victim was taken to Norwegian American Hospital with a wound to the right foot and was expected to be treated and released.
- Around 11:30 p.m. Saturday, a 38-year-old woman was shot while sitting in a parked car in the 10000 block of South Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, officials said. The woman told police a silver sedan drove by and fired shots at the vehicle she was in. She suffered a graze wound to the left shoulder and refused treatment, police said.
- About 40 minutes earlier, a 24-year-old man was shot while driving near West 32nd Street and South Racine Avenue. The man was stopped at a stop sign when a man fired at him from the sidewalk. The victim drove himself to Stroger Hospital in stable condition with a wound to the right forearm, police said.
- Just before 9:30 p.m., a 16-year-old boy was shot in the 500 block of East 47th Street in the city's Bronzeville neighborhood. The teen was walking on the sidewalk when two men exited a vehicle and fired shots at him. The teen was taken to Mercy Hospital with a wound to his left foot.
- Around 4:30 p.m., a 36-year-old man was shot while standing on the 7900 block of South Vernon Avenue. The man said he heard shots and felt pain. He suffered wounds to his wrist and hip and was listed in good condition at Jackson Park Hospital, where he was expected to be treated and released.