IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Kentucky student found unresponsive at fraternity dies of 'presumed alcohol toxicity'

University of Kentucky police were called to the FarmHouse Fraternity on Monday "regarding reports of an unresponsive student," according to the school.

A University of Kentucky student died after he was found unresponsive at a fraternity house Monday night, according to school officials.

University of Kentucky police were called to the FarmHouse Fraternity at 6:22 p.m. "regarding reports of an unresponsive student," according to a statement from a school spokesperson.

The student, identified by the university as Thomas "Lofton" Hazelwood, was taken to UK Albert B. Chandler Hospital in Lexington, Kentucky, where he was pronounced dead.

A statement from the Fayette County Coroner

 said the 18-year-old's cause of death was "presumed alcohol toxicity."

"Foul play is not suspected, but police are investigating the circumstances of his death," said the statement from the university.

The university suspended all of the fraternity's activities. It also pledged two investigations, one by university police and one by the university.

Christian Wiggins, CEO of FarmHouse Fraternity, said in a statement: "We are saddened to share the passing of a University of Kentucky new member of FarmHouse Fraternity."

"We have encouraged all members to cooperate with the investigation. We will provide additional information as it becomes available," Wiggins said.

University officials said the school is offering support to the student's family, classmates and fraternity brothers. "The thoughts of the entire UK community are with his family and all those who knew the student at this time," the school's statement said.

Hazelwood was a first-year student majoring in agricultural economics, according to the University of Kentucky.

University President Eli Capilouto and UK Vice President for Student Success Kirsten Turner in a message to the campus community Tuesday evening vowed that the investigations and any findings and recommendations will be made public.

They pledged that the university will "commit to finding out what happened, how it happened and why."