Select is editorially independent. Our editors selected these deals and items because we think you will enjoy them at these prices. If you purchase something through our links, we may earn a commission. Pricing and availability are accurate as of publish time.
We're more than halfway through December and while the holiday season in in full swing, there are still plenty of end-of-year sales and winter and holiday deals. Retailers like Macy’s, Target and Walmart are reducing prices on everything from festive decor to toys, video games and more. To better understand how to shop this month — especially if you’re still on the hunt for any last minute gifts — and save during December, we consulted retail expert Julie Ramhold from DealNews.com.
What stores are having big sales right now
While only some of these sales are Black Friday and Cyber Monday-level deep, many come close to those discounts and others are still worthwhile. We looked through what’s on offer and list some of the best ongoing sales below. Not every deal within each sale will be the best available given the breadth of discounts in each, but the following will give you an idea of what’s on offer at your preferred retailers or which of the items on your shopping (or gifting) list is on sale.
Best sales: reader favorite brands and retailers
- Home Depot is offering up to 40 percent off select tools and accessories, up to 30 percent off mattresses and up to 20 percent off select bath items and smart home through Jan. 3
- Target is offering up to 50 percent off toys, electronics and video games, up to 30 percent off kitchen and dining items and up to 25 percent off furniture
- Walmart is offering discounts on a slew of items, including up to 40 percent off toys
- Wayfair is giving you up to 60 percent off living room furniture, bedding, dining room furniture, curtains and more through Dec. 26
Best sales: home and kitchen
- Bed Bath & Beyond is offering a variety of sales, including up to 40 percent off kitchen items, up to $200 off vacuums, up to 30 percent off Christmas items and 20 percent off your entire purchase when you pick up your gift in store or at curbside pickup through Dec. 24
- BioBidet is offering up to 33 percent off top-selling bidets and accessories
- Brooklinen is giving you15 percent off sitewide through Dec. 31
- Casper is offering up to 30 percent off bundles and 10 percent off sitewide
- Keurig is offering 50 percent off coffee makers and 25 percent off beverages when the items are purchased as a part of the Keurig Starter Kit, as well as 20 percent off beverages with code HOLIDAYSAVE20 through Dec. 27
- KitchenAid is offering savings on select appliances, including stand mixers, dishwashers, microwaves and more
- Lowe's is giving you up to 65 percent off lighting and ceiling fans and Amazon Alexa items, as well as up to 30 percent off select tools and accessories
- Molekule is offering up to $520 off bundles and up to $150 off select air purifiers
- Williams-Sonoma is offering up to 65 percent off select items, including cutlery, Nespresso machines and sous vide cookers, as well as up to 75 percent off clearance
Best sales: tech and gadgets
- Adorama is giving you deals on Sony cameras through Jan. 3, as well as student exclusive Sony deals through Jan. 31
- Best Buy is still offering up Holiday deals on a slew of items, including TVs, laptops, tablets and more
- Costco is offering holiday savings on smart home items, laptops and more through Dec. 24
- Dell is giving you up to an extra 10 percent off select PCs and electronics
- eBay is giving you 65 percent off PUMA attire through Dec. 20, 50 percent off certified refurbished deals and select tech and 30 percent off gift ideas and more
- HP is giving you up to five percent off select PCs over $599 with code WINTRSAV5
- Lenovo is giving you up to 73 percent off select doorbusters, including desktops and ThinkPad laptops
Best sales: wellness and self-care
- 23andMe is offering 35 percent off Health + Ancestry Service through Dec. 26
- AeroGarden is offering 35 percent off daily garden deals and 20 percent off or more sitewide with code HOLIDAY20
- Artifact Uprising is giving you 15 percent off sitewide with code FORYOU15 through Dec. 20
- Canary and Nom Nom collaborated to give you 50 percent off the first two-weeks off a Nom Nom meal subscription and the Canary View Camera through Dec. 31
- The Disney Store is offering up to 40 percent off all Holiday items, as well as up to 50 percent off select clothing, home and more plus free shipping on orders $75 or more with code SHIPMAGIC
- Glossier is giving you up to 30 percent off select sets
- Horizon Fitness is giving you zero percent APR on all home cardio, including treadmills
- REI is offering up to 40 percent off select clothing and gear through Dec. 24 and an extra 50 percent off REI Outlet items
- Rendall Co. is offering 40 percent off Cadet kids mask 4-packs with code 40CADET
- Sephora is offering savings during its 30 Days of Sephorathon event, as well as free shipping on all orders with code FREESHIP
- SkinCareRX is giving you up to 50 percent off select items during its Black Friday Replay sale, plus a free Replenix Sheer Physical Sunscreen with a $150 purchase
- SkinStore is offering up to 50 percent off select items during its Black Friday Replay sale, plus a free Obagi Nu-Derm Toner with a $125 purchase
- Skyn ICELAND is offering free shipping and three free samples with purchases over $50
- Ulta is giving you up to 50 percent off select holiday beauty Blitz items
- Vistaprint is giving you 15 percent off a purchase of four or more masks with code FAST15
Best sales: fashion and style
- Abercrombie & Fitch is offering up to 60 percent off select styles, as well as up to 50 percent off select styles at Abercrombie Kids
- Adidas is giving you up to 50 percent off select items, plus $50 gift cards for $40
- Aeropostale is giving you up to 70 percent off sitewide
- Aerosoles is offering up to 60 percent off boots
- Belk is giving you up to 75 percent off Holiday doorbusters, including deals on air fryers, cookware and more, as well as up to 80 percent off clearance
- Bonobos is giving you $50 off a future purchase when you spend $250 through Dec. 21
- Kohl’s is offering a slew of deals, including 55 percent off select Simply Vera Vera Wang fine jewelry through Dec. 24, savings on Nike and Under Armor items and more
- Lord and Taylor is offering up to 70 percent off sitewide
- Macy’s is giving you up to 60 percent off select items sitewide during its One Day Sale through Dec. 20, as well as deals on cold weather essentials, including coats, kids options and items by Martha Stewart and Calvin Klein
- Nordstrom is offering bonuses when you buy eGift Cards, including a free $50 Promo Card when you give $300 or a $25 Promo Card when you give $175 through Dec. 26. It's also offering up to 60 percent off designer clearance, up to 30 percent off women’s sweaters, up to 25 percent off Nike items, up to 15 percent off beauty and more
- Nordstrom Rack is offering up to 75 percent off select styles
- Old Navy is offering up to 75 percent off storewide
- Olympia Sport is giving you 70 percent off online only, including discounts on footwear, apparel, accessories and more sitewide
- J. Crew is offering 60 percent off festive finds plus an extra 25 percent off with code SHOPNOW
- Shoes.com is giving you 30 percent off with code CYBER30 through Dec. 21
- STATE Bags is offering up to 75 percent off select items during its Warehouse Sale
- TOMS is giving you 35 percent off sitewide
- Uniqlo is offering up to $90 off winter deals
- Victoria’s Secret is offering up to $20 off PJ sets, up to $53 off select bras, up to $25 off robes and more. You'll also get free shipping on purchases of $100 or more, as well as free returns on all orders
- Wilsons Leather is offering an extra 50 percent off leather styles, as well as 45 percent off all other items sitewide with code MERRY
Best deals to shop right now
This iHealth thermometer is Amazon’s No. 1 bestselling health care thermometer and was one of NBC News Shopping readers' most purchased items during Cyber Monday. It uses infrared technology to detect your temperature from 3 centimeters away and works in about one second. When finished it will display the reading in large, white LED lights that can be seen in dark environments.
As winter is nearly upon us and Covid-19 restrictions continue to rise, you may be feeling stuck inside your home and indoor plants can create the illusion of being outdoors. The AeroGarden Harvest comes with half-a-dozen pre-seeded pods and allows you to grow everything from flowers to thyme and dill year-round and without water or sunlight. It features LED lights, is equipped with an automatic timer and is easy to use.
If you're looking for a Roomba, consider iRobot Roomba i7. It has greater suction power, sports two multi-surface rubber brushes to sweep up pet hair without getting tangled and is equipped with an allergen filter and dirt detect sensors. It also features smart mapping to know what areas need cleaning and which to avoid, as well as an automatic dirt disposal and more. Plus, you can set cleaning schedules through the iRobot HOME app.
If you could use a new TV, consider the TCL 40S325 smart TV. Another Shopping bestseller during Cyber Monday, this 40-inch TV is equipped with Wi-Fi, features access to more than 5,000 streaming channels and fits well in most living rooms. It also includes voice control through Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant.
Another Shopping bestseller from Cyber Monday, this long-sleeve flannel by Eddie Bauer is made from 100-percent cotton that's been brushed on both sides for a soft feel. It's machine-washable and includes fade-resistant technology and a pocket detail at the chest. Plus, it comes in over half-a-dozen colors and patterns, including Royal Red and Bone.
Consider gifting this Joy-Con charging doc to a gamer in your life (or yourself) this holiday season. The dock can charge up to four Nintendo Switch Joy-Con controllers at once. It includes a USB port to plug into an outlet or your computer when it needs more power. Additionally, the dock features a weighted base for stability. Once your controllers are charged, a green light will appear.
Best things to buy in December and what can wait
During December, Ramhold suggested readers keep an eye out for special offers on gift cards, including "buy-one-give-one" deals from stores and restaurants. And while the largest discounts on holiday decor are likely to be seen after Christmas, Ramhold said we can still expect substantial discounts by mid-December, leaving plenty of time to save during this shopping season.
Ramhold also said that now is an especially good time to purchase video games, including PC games on Steam and GOG.com, as well as DVDs and Blu-rays as gifts or in bulk. “Look for collections of 20 movies to go for around $24, or sets like Game of Thrones to be under $200 for the entire series.”
Lastly, Ramhold said, we can expect after-Christmas sales on everything from clothing and the aforementioned holiday decorations and video games, to select TVs, portable speakers and more.
While there are many things to save on in December, there are products Ramhold said shoppers should hold off on purchasing this month, including fitness equipment, bedding and winter clothing. Although we might see some attractive home gym or winter clothing deals, Ramhold said all of these items should see larger price discounts and a wider variety during January.
According to a RetailMeNot survey from late November, 93-percent of surveyors had yet to finish gift shopping for the season. Four in five shoppers said they felt confident in their ability to purchase gifts online that would arrive in time for the holidays. Ramhold also cautioned shoppers regarding major shipping delays this year by shopping early and considering backup plans, as well as directly shipping gifts to recipients. For instance, FedEx, UPS and other delivery services are bracing themselves for a potential “shortfall of as many as 7 million packages a day,” NBC News reported in October.
“With the carriers having troubles and forecasting delays, there's a good chance paying that extra amount won't get your items to you any faster,” she said. “Instead, save that extra cash and consider warning your recipient their gift might be late this year.”
Catch up on the latest from NBC News Shopping guides and recommendations and download the NBC News app for full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Looking for the perfect gift? Check out the Shop TODAY Holiday Plaza.