Black Friday and Cyber Monday have come and gone, but December is still filled with great deals to help you with your holiday gifting. A record 196.7 million people shopped in stores and online over Thanksgiving weekend, 17 million more than in 2021, according to a report by the National Retail Federation. The increase suggests that the pandemic isn’t on shoppers’ minds anymore, said Kristin McGrath, a shopping expert at coupon website RetailMeNot.
Inflation, however, remains a deterrent for consumers. “Although we saw record shopping over the Thanksgiving weekend, the news of inflation can still create chaos and holiday shopping scammers are targeting those on tighter budgets this year with phishing emails offering too-good-to-be-true deals,” said Vipin Porwal, consumer expert and founder at Smarty.
Despite inflation, last-minute shoppers still need something to put under the tree as soon as possible, noted McGrath. “Retailers will want to get giftable items out the door while shoppers still have their minds on the holidays and before the holiday debt hangover kicks in January,” she said.
To give you an idea of the best sales and discounts in the month of December, we’ve consulted retail experts on where the deals are and what to avoid buying this month in the leadup to the holidays.
Best December Sales
We chose the sales below because we think you’ll find them interesting — they typically include multiple deals and, of course, not every single product in a sale will be the best deal around.
- Lenovo: up to 78% off select doorbusters during Cyber Week
- Flybird Fitness: Up to 59% off weight benches, adjustable weights and more
- Sur La Table: Up to 50% off select cookware, kitchen appliances and more
- Best Buy: Up to 50% off small kitchen appliances and select headphones, among other holiday deals
- Target: Up to 50% off toys and tech, up to 40% off home goods and other deals
- JBL: Up to 50% off speakers, earbuds and other tech
- Aerogarden: Up to 50% off daily deals on countertop hydroponic gardens
- Allbirds: Up to 50% off last chance sale styles during extended Cyber Monday sales
- Bose: Up to 50% off select speakers, earbuds and more
- Anker: Up to 50% off chargers, power banks and more
- Nike: Up to 50% off sale shoes and the latest markdowns
- HyperX: Up to 50% off Cyber Week deals
- Jabra: Up to 50% off earbuds and holiday gifts
- Solo Stove: Up to 45% off fire pit bundles
- REI: Up to 40% off select deals during Cyber Week
- Society6: Up to 40% off sitewide, with new deals dropping daily
- Rifle Paper Co.: An extra 40% off sale items
- Open Spaces: Up to 35% off storage favorites
- Fable: Up to 35% off pet enrichment toys and other essentials with code HOLIDAY2022
- Bear Mattress: 35% off sitewide and free gifts worth up to $325 with your order using code BF35 during the extended Black Friday sale
- Madewell: 30% off your purchase with VERYMERRY
- Everlane: Up to 25% off everything
- Bala: Up to 20% off your order
- Caraway: Up to 20% off sitewide through Dec. 31
- BaubleBar: 20% off all everything with code BB20
- Tuft and Needle: Up to $800 off mattresses and 25% off accessories
Best December Deals
We rounded up the best ongoing deals on highly rated products Select readers have shown an interest in or that we think you should know about. We relied on price tracking tools like Honey and CamelCamelCamel to ensure the discount is the lowest price in three months, according to historical data.
Caraway launched this 2-quart tea kettle this summer that can work on all stovetops, including induction cooktops. The kettle is built with a stainless-steel body and its exterior is covered in a non-toxic ceramic coating, available in a variety of colors. Each kettle comes with a pot holder that can double as a trivet.
This smart scale from Fitbit can connect to the Fitbit companion app via Bluetooth, allowing you to track your weight and BMI over time. Multiple people can use the scale so long as they connect it with their personal devices.
Le Creuset’s Dutch oven is one of the best Dutch ovens you can buy, according to our experts. The cast iron Dutch oven comes with a dome-shaped lid that traps heat and moisture while food is cooking. The brand says that its sand-colored, enamel-coated interior helps you caramelize ingredients without them sticking. Le Creuset says the Dutch oven is compatible with all cooktops and is oven-safe up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
This 22-ounce candle from Select-favorite candle brand Yankee Candle can provide 110 to 150 hours of consistent burn time, according to the brand. The paraffin-grade candle also comes in a 100% recyclable container that can be recycled through TerraCycle.
What to buy in December
Though the steep Black Friday and Cyber Monday savings on home and kitchenware and tech gadgets are gone, consumers may still find a good deal on air fryers, blenders and 4K TVs, according to McGrath.
There will still be sales on general cookware as people continue to host large gatherings in their homes. “Shoppers can expect better prices and exclusive savings post-Thanksgiving on quality name-brand cookware, dinnerware, glassware and small kitchen appliances at 30% off or more,” Porwal said.
Additionally, deals on fitness gear may reappear closer to New Years, as people start making resolutions, according to McGrath.
What to skip in December
Although outdoor gear often make for good gifts, Porwal says that better prices will come in January as winter sales start. McGrath advised shoppers to skip out on buying bedding and furniture, as better deals will be available on those items in January and February. January is known for its "white sales" on linens, whereas February's Presidents Day sales are known for deals on mattresses and furniture.