Breaking News Emails
Demonstrators peacefully gathered in the streets of Charlotte Friday for the second night since a curfew was announced following two days of violent protests sparked by the fatal police shooting of Keith Lamont Scott.
Saying they wanted to avoid the violence — including the shooting death of one protester by another man — that marred previous nights, the marchers moved through the city's uptown neighborhood chanting, "This is what democracy looks like" and "Release the tapes," a plea for officials to share police video of the police shooting of Scott on Tuesday.
A midnight-to-6 a.m. curfew remained in effect Friday. Police did not appear to immediately move to enforce the curfew as it took effect, but by 1 a.m. protesters were dispersing peacefully, police said.
Charlotte EMS officials said one person was briefly treated for a minor case of heat exhaustion, and another was treated for minor injuries after fainting.
The protests Friday occurred hours after lawyers for Scott's family released video shot by his wife, Rakeyia Scott, in which she pleaded with officers not to shoot him as they converged on a white pickup truck in the parking lot of condominium complex.
Police have said Scott was armed and presented a threat to officers, and a gun was recovered from the scene. Some members of Scott’s family have said he was not armed.
Police remained on the perimeter of the protests Friday. A Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department spokesman on the scene said they supported the marchers' First Amendment rights.
Around 9 p.m., the marchers moved from the streets onto Highway 277, but it appeared that police had already stopped traffic in advance. The marchers hollered, "Our streets" and, "Shut it down."
A group of about 50 protesters showed up at police headquarters, chanting "I am my brother's keeper." The crowd swelled in size, and people used chalk to write the names of Scott, Eric Garner, and other African-American people who died in encounters with police.
On Thursday Gov. Pat McCrory declared a state of emergency and activated the National Guard after protests Wednesday night turned violent, with windows of businesses smashed, police using tear gas and more than 40 people arrested.
A 26-year-old man, Justin Carr, was shot allegedly by another man during protests on Trade Street Wednesday and he died Thursday, authorities said. Police on Friday arrested Rayquan Borum and charged him with the shooting death.
When the midnight curfew took effect Thursday night, police declined to make arrests as long as protesters remained peaceful. Demonstrations Thursday night were largely peaceful, although tear gas was used in one incident as police pushed protesters away from I-277.
Police said Friday night that 47 people have been arrested during protests since Tuesday. Of those, 41 are from North Carolina, and 37 of those people are from Charlotte.