Subscribe to Breaking News emails

You have successfully subscribed to the Breaking News email.

Subscribe today to be the first to to know about breaking news and special reports.

Infographic: Hurricane Season Begins

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.

The 2014 Atlantic hurricane season begins Sunday, and the National Hurricane Center is predicting a quieter season than normal this year.

For the six-month hurricane season, the forecast calls for a 50 percent chance of a below-normal season, a 40 percent chance of a near-normal season and only a 10 percent chance of an above-normal season.

But as most of us know, forecasts are an inexact science, and coastal residents are urged to be prepared.

According to a survey by the American Red Cross and The Weather Channel, one in four residents in the Atlantic and Gulf coast regions live in flood-prone areas.

The Atlantic hurricane region includes the North Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean Sea and Gulf of Mexico.

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.
MORE FROM news